BYC Café

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KingOfFools, Jan 23, 2015.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Well. I do not mean to be heartless but if these are not someones pets, then they are wild food.
    There is enough to do before the bears are at your door than to drive yourself bonkers trying to help some mallards.

So I had this friend vet once that taught wild life rehab and he told me, "Look, everything is food. Everything has to eat... rabbits and dove are natures Bologna, you will save it so something else can eat it. Decide what your time is worth."
    I reared up that baby rabbit.. it bit the tar out of me, I let it go and you know some owl had rabbit for dinner.

2. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens

Thats how my Grandpa looked at his farm animals, I have the same outlook, I only have so much free time, what do I want to spend it on.
    Scott

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Sorry Margie, I don't have any experience catching wild ducks. Maybe a decoy and some corn or feed to lure them into or under something? [​IMG]

4. scottcaddy

We had better luck with 6 extra roo's and 1 turkey hen, they lost there heads over the bucket and had a very (just right) hot bath and are now getting nekked as my Grandson says.
    It turned out to be a good morning.
    Scott

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    A good morning for Scott...not so great for the roos & hen. LOL

Is that your Thanksgiving turkey Scott?

6. scottcaddy

No, he's still strutting around talking crap to the ladies.
    This hen was having head issues, we think she got hit/hurt somehow and is not quite right now.
    Scott

7. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    It is the evening of the 15th and this is what they post.... "potential winter storm Nov 16-17th" [​IMG] Gotta have a sense of humor around here I guess.
    Got the wood delivered and check in hand. Went for a very nice 2.5 hour ride. Still have 3 ducks swimming on the lake. I agree with you guys, I am not going to rush up there and try to save them, but someone was asking me what we could do and so..... I will keep you posted. I got to chase a couple of obnoxious dogs with my horse, scared them good. They should listen to my "off" command and I wouldn't have to make them run.

8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I have trouble catching my own ducks and they are confined to a 50x50 pen! Lol

9. scottcaddy

This made me [​IMG] my Caddy will let dogs be dogs as long as they don't get 'her' area and they don't bark at her & try the mock attack run, then the game is ON!!!
    She has found a stray mutt in her pen that had the nerve to bark at her, the chase was fun to watch she was snaking her head along the ground just behind the mutt with her mouth wide open and lips pulled way back (looked like a land shark). The mutt lost a bit of tail hair as far as I could tell, it lived and never came back in this yard again.
    I have to be careful about letting her chase dogs with me on her.
    Scott

10. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Mule + dog = bad medicine, as Betsy has proved many times.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by