BYC Café

KDOGG331

Release the Ferrets!!
Premium member
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Massachusetts
ROTFLMAO
sorry! They’re so ubiquitous in Canada I forgot no one else calls them that! You might call them “sugar pie”, they’re in a little pastry shell, like the size of a muffin bottom, and the filling is butter, brown sugar, usually maple syrup and I think egg yolk, caramelized together then baked till it sets. Many people add raisins (blech:sick) and others add walnuts or pecans. They’re a national Canadian food, like apple pie to Americans
Don’t think I’ve heard of those under either term! But sounds very interesting haha

BigBlueHen53

Fragile, Beautiful, Strong
Premium member
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
ROTFLMAO
sorry! They’re so ubiquitous in Canada I forgot no one else calls them that! You might call them “sugar pie”, they’re in a little pastry shell, like the size of a muffin bottom, and the filling is butter, brown sugar, usually maple syrup and I think egg yolk, caramelized together then baked till it sets. Many people add raisins (blech:sick) and others add walnuts or pecans. They’re a national Canadian food, like apple pie to Americans
Mmmm! Sounds wonderful. Much better than apple pie! I'll google, maybe I'll try making some. Sans raisins (and then maybe some wiyh, lol!).

CapricornFarm

Waiting for spring
Premium member
10 Years
Feb 1, 2010
Southern Virginia
Beautiful bird, they all are.

They still taste bad!!! Very astringent.

My mother in law makes those every Christmas.

Great progress Cap!

It got to 15°F here, I moved snow with the tractor. And yes that was outside :gig

Wow, she's really turned the corner!! Such a beautiful dog and spirit now that she's let loose of her demons.

Apparently not!
Thanks Bruce!

bruceha2000

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
NW Vermont
My mother-in-law (whom I adored and admired) used to put raisins in tuna salad :sick
Here chick chick chick.....
That does not sound appealing at all! Of course I'm a "mayo, garlic and tarragon only" tuna salad person. DW requires something crunchy in hers. WAY back when I was a kid I told my mother not to buy the kind of tuna the neighbor bought (in her presence , :oops:) since I didn't like the pickles in it. Who knew it didn't come out of the can that way?? I think I was about 4.

blackandtan

Crowing
Aug 30, 2016
Thunder Bay Ontario canada
My mother-in-law (whom I adored and admired) used to put raisins in tuna salad :sick
Here chick chick chick.....
Oh Ive seen recipes like that in older cookbooks! And grapes in chicken salad :(

Worst thing I’ve seen in my kitchen is when my French-Canadian boyfriend makes tunapancakes. They’re disgusting. I make nice, normal pancakes that are appropriately drowned in maple syrup (no fake crap here). And then he puts ketchup on them! Or mayo!!! Sickening. The irony is that his mom has shares in a sugar shack and sends us gallons of maple syrup every year

Building Bridges

Songster
Premium member
Jan 11, 2020
Ohio
That does not sound appealing at all! Of course I'm a "mayo, garlic and tarragon only" tuna salad person. DW requires something crunchy in hers. WAY back when I was a kid I told my mother not to buy the kind of tuna the neighbor bought (in her presence , :oops:) since I didn't like the pickles in it. Who knew it didn't come out of the can that way?? I think I was about 4.
Ha ha ha.....out of the mouths of babes!! :) :lau

Building Bridges

Songster
Premium member
Jan 11, 2020
Ohio
Oh Ive seen recipes like that in older cookbooks! And grapes in chicken salad :(

Worst thing I’ve seen in my kitchen is when my French-Canadian boyfriend makes tunapancakes. They’re disgusting. I make nice, normal pancakes that are appropriately drowned in maple syrup (no fake crap here). And then he puts ketchup on them! Or mayo!!! Sickening. The irony is that his mom has shares in a sugar shack and sends us gallons of maple syrup every year
Oh yeah....mother was a "grapes in the chicken salad" gal too!!
OK...my brain cannot even visualize ketchup or mayo on pancakes....that's way out there!!
As my kids used to say "Gag me with a rocket ship!":sick

Top Bottom