BYC Café

What a great idea!! :)) I just put dinner in the oven for my friends who are working on kennel renovations....and made two pumpkin pies. Gotta keep the workmen stoked and working!

Who wouldn't appreciate dinner and pumpkin pie, that's a nice bonus for the workers. What sort of renovations are they doing to your kennel BB?

Possibly, possibly, but in that case I could really do with a dog, or bitch, with some courage to go with the smarts and sense of doing dog stuff. :D

With wild boar around I'm sure something tougher would be helpful...those are some mean animals.

I was just putting myself in the picture and thinking avoidance for self-preservation's sake. :lol:

So, we were talking about the wonderful free range life the chickens and I live here.. As I mentioned Hinge took a goshawk hit.
If they make it back to the coop and eat, I wait until they are roosting to give them an examination. I mentioned to the main house that I could use a hand but they were off to dinner apparently. The track is now open and the three or four days they've had to spend here has all been too much for them.:rolleyes: Nobody to talk to and no one to impress makes this lot fray around the edges.
Notch is fine. He's just lost a few feathers. Well done him.
Hinge isn't so fine.
It's quite difficult to take pictures with one hand while holding a chickens wing up with the other with a point and squirt camera. The chickens don't like the flash etc etc.
This is a shot under one wing. All that white is bare skin and the red is of course blood.
View attachment 2010903
This is more of the same side.
View attachment 2010901
This is the other side under her wing.
View attachment 2010902
It looks as if she has two puncture wounds, one under each wing. A goshawk claw across her back sideways on could account for the wounds. She also has a small wound on her belly.
View attachment 2010900
Her feathers are matted with blood on both sides and a lot have been ripped out. Others feel out during cleaning.
She was very calm as I cleaned her up. I stand them on the kitchen table or on the floor and don't restrain them. If they flap away or panic I let them go and gently steer them back to where I want them.
Hinge is pretty feral. There is no way to catch her during the day.
She's back on a perch in the coop with her family which is a lot less stressful for the chicken than being shut in some strange container. I'm the one who deals with the stress overnight hoping she is still active in the morning.
Sad to hear about the hawk attack, Shad. Hopefully Hinge makes it through okay!

Shadrach said:

You would like my female BC."Cheer"...the herding instructor said she's "hard as nails" She also said "It's a good thing YOU got this dog...anyone else would have killed her by now LOL. She's a "gator"....nothing scares her...she was 1 yr old and bossed those sheep and squeezed into corners and went into pens without a second thought. She's tiny....34 pounds but by golly there's not an ounce of quit in her! She rules the roost here....my boys just salute and do what she says.
I 'inherited' a Welsh Border Collie. We already had a male. The new collie was a female and about half the size of the male. If you know about dogs and Border Collies, particularly the original Welsh variety you'll know they come in two flavours; stick chasers and tyre biters.
This small gray female was a bit different, she was a hedge walker. I've watched her walk run the length of a privit hedge, some 30 feet without sinking in once.
I digress.
She was called Moona, and she used to help the male (Gimli) play fetch the stick. I would throw the stick with Gimli sitting facing me watching the hand the stick was in. Moona would settle on the grass about ten yards to one side.
I would hurl the stick. Gimli would hurtle off in some random direction looking expectantly at where he had carefully worked out the trajectory, wind resistance and probably the gravitational pull of the earth, would place the stick at ground level.
Moona would watch for a bit as Gimli excitedly searched for the stick. Not being a patient dog he would get bored and start to take an interest in some pile of dirt or another stick he happened across. At this point Moona would get up and saunter over to where the stick had landed, pick it up and then drop it for Gimli to return to me, feeling immensely pleased with himself no doubt.

Who wouldn't appreciate dinner and pumpkin pie, that's a nice bonus for the workers. What sort of renovations are they doing to your kennel BB?
It's not my kennel. My good friend and his wife own a boarding kennel one mile from me. I am the trainer there.....and he handles my dog in agility. We've been good friends for 10 years. He and his brother are putting ceramic tile in all the kennels....walls, floors....for ease of cleaning and durability. His brother has come to town to lend a hand. Usuallly, I'm the one helping with projects but I'd rather cook and let the guys work. :)

It's not my kennel. My good friend and his wife own a boarding kennel one mile from me. I am the trainer there.....and he handles my dog in agility. We've been good friends for 10 years. He and his brother are putting ceramic tile in all the kennels....walls, floors....for ease of cleaning and durability. His brother has come to town to lend a hand. Usuallly, I'm the one helping with projects but I'd rather cook and let the guys work. :)

Ok, got it! (I'd rather cook than lay tile too.)

I 'inherited' a Welsh Border Collie. We already had a male. The new collie was a female and about half the size of the male. If you know about dogs and Border Collies, particularly the original Welsh variety you'll know they come in two flavours; stick chasers and tyre biters.
This small gray female was a bit different, she was a hedge walker. I've watched her walk run the length of a privit hedge, some 30 feet without sinking in once.
I digress.
She was called Moona, and she used to help the male (Gimli) play fetch the stick. I would throw the stick with Gimli sitting facing me watching the hand the stick was in. Moona would settle on the grass about ten yards to one side.
I would hurl the stick. Gimli would hurtle off in some random direction looking expectantly at where he had carefully worked out the trajectory, wind resistance and probably the gravitational pull of the earth, would place the stick at ground level.
Moona would watch for a bit as Gimli excitedly searched for the stick. Not being a patient dog he would get bored and start to take an interest in some pile of dirt or another stick he happened across. At this point Moona would get up and saunter over to where the stick had landed, pick it up and then drop it for Gimli to return to me, feeling immensely pleased with himself no doubt.
Lovely....those female border collies are amazing. Cheer loves to swim and she is as smooth as a snake in the water....nary a ripple. We throw toys in the pond or Lake Erie and she dives in...the three boys wade in chest deep and wait for her to swim out and retrieve the toy....then they grab it from her as soon as she reaches shore. Throw the toy....and in she goes again...as many times as you like.....they take it....and prance around like they hear the Rocky theme in their heads......

Attachments

• IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom