BYC Café

Must be a huge effort to get all that from home to the show, set up and then taken back!
Looks like you do nice work.

She's becoming a REAL dog! :love

I don't know which threads you are talking about but I'm glad I don't read them!
You're not missing anything worthwhile.

Good morning Cafe.
I've made a pot of coffee as well.
Warmish and cloudy here. Nest hunting is top priority today. Got three laying away from the coops.
I currently have 24 active layers... I think poor Lucy is down for the count.
I collected 22 eggs yesterday. I'm buried. I have over 10 dozen in the refrigerator at home and 3 dozen at work. Only 7 are slated to sell and not until Thursday. I need more customers!

Poor Lucy. :(
I'm going to make some hot fig chutney meringues later if the enthusiasm holds up.
I still think it's EYP and she is not going to recover. She was out with the flock yesterday and will come join them if I toss a handful of bird seed/cracked corn mix. But when I got back from running the dogs yesterday morning, I could see her under the chicken bush sleeping in that penguin pose with her head turned back.
Last night, instead of roosting on the roost, she stayed on the edge of the poop board. She was at least sitting down instead of standing up but she is obviously still very uncomfortable. I have to make a decision here pretty soon.

I found making that decision very hard with Blue Spot and Rosehip. I left it too long with Blue Spot because I was so attached to her. I've read quite a few of the threads here on BYC relatinng to EYP and similar. I believe many of those who give advice on these matters mean well and I beleive on the odd occasion the heavy medication can extend the hen in questions life. I am slightly dubious regarding the direct experience of some of those who advise, given the number of complaints they seem to have dealt with. Statistics would suggest that their flocks are in general very sick and as with any advice, I would rather pay attention to those who have healthy long lived chickens in such respects.
I find Folly's Place very good in this respect although we disagree on some other topics.
What often gets overlooked is the stress imposed on the hen and often more so, the stress on the keeper. Giving medication and tube feeding a chicken multiple times a day and trying to ensure that chicken doesn't become an isolation case and in some ways an experiment is difficult.

I found making that decision very hard with Blue Spot and Rosehip. I left it too long with Blue Spot because I was so attached to her. I've read quite a few of the threads here on BYC relating to EYP and similar. I believe many of those who give advice on these matters mean well and I believe on the odd occasion the heavy medication can extend the hen in questions life. I am slightly dubious regarding the direct experience of some of those who advise, given the number of complaints they seem to have dealt with. Statistics would suggest that their flocks are in general very sick and as with any advice, I would rather pay attention to those who have healthy long lived chickens in such respects.
I find Folly's Place very good in this respect although we disagree on some other topics.
What often gets overlooked is the stress imposed on the hen and often more so, the stress on the keeper. Giving medication and tube feeding a chicken multiple times a day and trying to ensure that chicken doesn't become an isolation case and in some ways an experiment is difficult.
Folly did not chime in on my thread. I do not like stressing her and because I've seen no true improvement, I did not medicate her last night. She was resting comfortably and I left her be.
It is very stressful for me. I am okay with euthanizing an animal that is suffering with no hope for recovery. It actually makes me feel better because I know they aren't in pain any longer. My stress comes from knowing my animal is in pain. I want it to stop.
Trying to get the timing right on letting go is always tough. If they are still enjoying life, I want them to have as much time as possible. But how can I really know how much pain she is hiding?
I read an article written by a veterinarian once that said he had yet to see an owner that brought an animal in too soon to be euthanized. Everyone always waits too long. I guess that is because no one wants to take the life of an innocent animal. But she is my responsibility and I'm going to have to do this pretty soon I think.
The sun is coming up now so I'm going to head out to tend to the flock and see how she is today.

Back
Top Bottom