BYC Café

Re: testing your water. I'm almost afraid to test it. We're between a farmer's field and a river. Who knows what is in his runoff.

When we first moved in, the water softener was off. Our first dinner was spaghetti. When I boiled the pasta, there was foam on the water like a head on a mug of beer. The softener got rid of that. We finally got an RO filter, and I like the taste of the water.

Re: testing your water. I'm almost afraid to test it. We're between a farmer's field and a river. Who knows what is in his runoff.

When we first moved in, the water softener was off. Our first dinner was spaghetti. When I boiled the pasta, there was foam on the water like a head on a mug of beer. The softener got rid of that. We finally got an RO filter, and I like the taste of the water.
It's definitely a good idea to have a full gamut test if you've never done it. It's also interesting to see what's in there. Every year, or every other year, you can get a simple bacteria test done to double check nothing has contaminated it (bugs, mice etc :sick). Having a water tight cap on the well will give you peace of mind that nothing is getting in. A locking water tight cap would be better to deter pesky humans. We've replaced a few wells after someone's kids thought it'd be fun to drop rocks down them. If anyone works on the well, I'd have it tested after you've run the water to clear it. Coliform and e-coli can really harm certain people.

Do you get that done?
Around here the only test easy to get is for nitrates.

Yes. They test for the presence of Coliform and eColi, nitrates if you want.

You really shouldn't use regular bleach in your well, as it isn't NSF rated. Well Safe chlorine kits, or the like, are made for sanitization of drinking water and won't impart any possible contaminants into the water.

The way I look at it is I'm going to completely flush the well out after sanitization. The way I wrote it is the way the companies around here do it.

It's definitely a good idea to have a full gamut test if you've never done it. It's also interesting to see what's in there. Every year, or every other year, you can get a simple bacteria test done to double check nothing has contaminated it (bugs, mice etc :sick). Having a water tight cap on the well will give you peace of mind that nothing is getting in. A locking water tight cap would be better to deter pesky humans. We've replaced a few wells after someone's kids thought it'd be fun to drop rocks down them. If anyone works on the well, I'd have it tested after you've run the water to clear it. Coliform and e-coli can really harm certain people.

Yes. I found out our well had both Coliform and e-coli AFTER I took a drink from the outdoor spigot. :sick

The way I look at it is I'm going to completely flush the well out after sanitization. The way I wrote it is the way the companies around here do it.
I understand. There are still a lot of people around that use bleach. The story I tell people is about a couple who had the water tested, shocked the well with bleach and had their water tested again. Second test was positive for mercury where the first test wasn't. People generally don't risk it after that.

Another story I like to tell is of the guy who called up wondering what to do about the suds coming out of his well head after he "shocked" it with a gallon of detergent-plus-bleach :lau

I felt bad for him, but it was pretty darned funny!

The County Plow Crew is excited!
4" is their territory.
1611610951471.png

Back
Top Bottom