BYC Café

LaFleche

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Sep 22, 2012
Germany
He's a surgeon!
But, to his credit, he did not make a recommendation. He simply provided us with data and said he could make an appointment with the radiological urologist if we wanted to talk to him.
That sounds trustworthy.

Well, keeping in mind the ongoing Covid situation, I think I would not want to stay in hospital for one day too many if can be avoided. And much less for
5 days a week for 4-6 months for the treatments.

Perris

Still learning
Premium Feather Member
Jan 28, 2018
Gower, Wales
Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

We got the biopsy results back yesterday. DH has "unfavorable intermediate" stage prostate cancer. The doctor took samples all around the prostate, not just on the spot seen on the MRI. Out of 15 samples collected, 10 had cancer cells. Mostly graded 3, some 4 on a scale of 1-5 where 1 & 2 are considered benign.

Options are complete removal of the prostate (RP) and surrounding lymph nodes (PLND) or external beam radiation treatment (EBRT) plus hormone therapy (ADT) for 4-6 months.

If we go the radiation route, there are a lot of potential complications and he'd have to go to the hospital 5 days a week for 4-6 months for the treatments.

If we go the prostatectomy route, he'll have a catheter in for one week and when it comes out, he will be instantly incontinent and have to wear adult diapers. Continence fully returns in most men by 6 months post op. About 7% of men will not regain continence 1 year post op.

Lots to think about.
so sorry to hear this. :hugs
I would be inclined to go the surgery route too, were it me.

Mtn Margie

Crossing the Road
10 Years
Apr 7, 2010
CO Rockies - 8600ft up
Hugs, DL... I would also think less disruption to the home routine would mentally be the best for him.

It is flaking and cold here this morning so I appreciate the hot coffee!
DS$ only made two people throw up at yesterday's practice and one of those was a volunteer coach, brought in to give DS$ someone to spar with besides the Head Coach of the old team. The Head Coach of the new team is much older and wiser than that!
I think they are starting to take a tally, having had one in each practice before that and we are only 3 practices in... the physical fitness bar is being raised...

Meg-in-MT

Enabler
Jan 29, 2018
SW Montana
So sad to hear that, Tonya. Good that DH has someone like you who doesn't cave to the (enormous) pressure you're under, but instead bows up to it and figures that sh*t out. You will make the best decision because it's for all the right reasons: you're doing what you think is best for him. Big giant hugs to you and we're all here for you. :hugs :hugs :hugs

Five days a week for 4-6 months would be misery on the best of minds, I would think. Is there any better chance it doesn't recur with the surgery?

ronott1

A chicken will always remember the egg
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

We got the biopsy results back yesterday. DH has "unfavorable intermediate" stage prostate cancer. The doctor took samples all around the prostate, not just on the spot seen on the MRI. Out of 15 samples collected, 10 had cancer cells. Mostly graded 3, some 4 on a scale of 1-5 where 1 & 2 are considered benign.

Options are complete removal of the prostate (RP) and surrounding lymph nodes (PLND) or external beam radiation treatment (EBRT) plus hormone therapy (ADT) for 4-6 months.

If we go the radiation route, there are a lot of potential complications and he'd have to go to the hospital 5 days a week for 4-6 months for the treatments.

If we go the prostatectomy route, he'll have a catheter in for one week and when it comes out, he will be instantly incontinent and have to wear adult diapers. Continence fully returns in most men by 6 months post op. About 7% of men will not regain continence 1 year post op.

Lots to think about.
I hope he recovers whichever option you guys choose!

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Is there any better chance it doesn't recur with the surgery?
Now that I've taken more time to review the patient guidelines and apply DHs circumstances to it, one might consider a third option: observe.

That is the preferred recommendation for patients with a life expectancy less than 10 years.

The average life expectancy for an AD patient is 8-10 years after diagnosis. DH was diagnosed 3.5 years ago and he was already in the early moderate stage. However, some can live for 20 years.

Now what?

I think I'm going to talk with his neurologist and then again with his urologist before making a final decision.

ronott1

A chicken will always remember the egg
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Now that I've taken more time to review the patient guidelines and apply DHs circumstances to it, one might consider a third option: observe.

That is the preferred recommendation for patients with a life expectancy less than 10 years.

The average life expectancy for an AD patient is 8-10 years after diagnosis. DH was diagnosed 3.5 years ago and he was already in the early moderate stage. However, some can live for 20 years.

Now what?

I think I'm going to talk with his neurologist and then again with his urologist before making a final decision.
That might be the best way to go! It sounds like a slow version of prostate cancer?

Top Bottom