BYC Café

Does she have an actual ridge on her back though?

Penny is saying that is dominant on a ridgeback, it's how they got their name.
This I know. A show quality ridgeback must have the ridge. Ruby only has it when she is excited. But, I'm not thinking she is pure ridgeback, just that she resembles that breed more than a Visla or a Staffie.

This I know. A show quality ridgeback must have the ridge. Ruby only has it when she is excited. But, I'm not thinking she is pure ridgeback, just that she resembles that breed more than a Visla or a Staffie.
I think she looks like a visla and Staffordshire terrier... She has the pronounced jaw of the staffie and the coloring/stance of visla

These breeds have to have double dew claws in show
Screenshot_20200117-142430.png

The ridge on Back is a dominant, like double dew claws
In this context, "dominant" refers to the expressing of an inheritable trait, and doesn't have anything to do with the animal's temperament (although some of that is inheritable, too). The "ridge" on a Ridgeback is a line of hair that grows in the opposite direction from the rest of the coat, and is always visible. Hair that just stands up is not a ridge, not by this definition, and almost any dog's hair may stand up when excited.

Since the gene for the ridge is dominant, even a dog that only has one Ridgeback parent will have the ridge.

Back
Top Bottom