BYC Café

It's a "mystery orange"? My nephew planted an avocado seed, back when he was 5, he's 33 now...this is what that avocado became....I know sounds silly but that is what he planted in this spot. I've watched it grow for that long and it only started producing 2 years ago. Pretty sure it's a Mexican sour orange! It has some mighty sharp, long thorns on it. :lol:

It's a "mystery orange"? My nephew planted an avocado seed, back when he was 5, he's 33 now...this is what that avocado became....I know sounds silly but that is what he planted in this spot. I've watched it grow for that long and it only started producing 2 years ago. Pretty sure it's a Mexican sour orange! It has some mighty sharp, long thorns on it. :lol:
Thats hilarious 😂

Thats hilarious 😂
Yep, pretty funny! I know its implausible but that is the truth....I didn't plant any orange seeds there, nor did he. And it wasn't a "volunteer" either. :idunnohe planted in between 4 live oak trees, right next to the house. The tree/shrub is about 16' tall, I just counted the oranges, it has 41 oranges on it. :D
I'm suppose to be too far North for them to do well but this one sure has, I guess the house and other trees protected it from freezing. :idunno

commercial butter is 16 to 17% water. Water is in the cream.

By the way, the water content in food counts for your 6 cups a day. We get a lot of water from our food!
Soooo, that means we can eat pounds and pounds of butter every day and not have to drink any water!!!

I came here looking for friends I can trust. I was told this place would be a good start. :oops:
Good place for it.

We like coffee.....and WALNUTS!! :lau
No, NOT walnuts!!!! (@MysteryChicken this has become a running joke from a couple of days ago)

Why don't I like them ? Could it be my father feeding them to me along with the raw clams and beer when I was 5 ?
Maybe it was the raw clams that made the pistachios taste bad, give them another try :D

I actually like cooking. When the Princess retired I told her she was not allowed back in the kitchen. She did not resist one bit.
You could let her in to do the dishes ;)

I'm 22. It's difficult for me to let things slide.
You'll get over that. The 22 part, we've all done it though some more recently than others :D
Generally, as was mentioned, it does get easier to let things slide as you get older though I can say that there are a couple of things from a few years ago that I'm still not over now. Probably take them to my grave/urn/whatever

The last step is to add salt if you are making salted butter.
So I've been thinking about this salted butter thing. Some recipes call for salted, some for unsalted. Why two kinds? Why can't you just toss a bit of salt in with the unsalted butter?

That's a very along time ago.
Yep, back when I graduated HS and Cap was (all things being equal) a Senior in HS!

Does goats milk work for butter also? Just asking?:confused:
Yep, I have had it, very white compared to cow milk butter. My understanding is that goat milk is naturally homogenized so separating out the cream to make butter is harder. Have to have a cream separator and I don't know if there is one kind used for all milk or if the one for goat milk is different.

There are so many cows around here. I'm sure I can get raw milk.
If it is legal in your state. Laws are different everywhere. For instance you can sell raw milk in Vermont directly from the farm or a store/stand owned by the farm. But of course there are increased insurance costs so a lot of dairies don't sell raw. Other states allow raw milk sales but not for human consumption. Other states don't allow it at all.

I give up...I've been reading the past couple days worth of posts for a good bit of time but the "last post" line keeps moving.
Same here!!!! People were chatty last night and today. Didn't even get to the end before I started this post and dinner was done cooking therefore demanding my attention right in the middle of this post. I'm probably several more pages behind where I was an hour ago.

OK, posting this and going back to see if I can catch up to the perpetually moving last post.

Back
Top Bottom