BYC Café

That's quite an ordeal. I'm glad Moon is okay and I hope she recovers. That's just a bad situation.

Yeah. Obviously, the dog isn't human aggressive at all, but too many people don't seem to know about high-prey-drive dogs, or at least, don't know enough to take them seriously. I like dogs, and I hate that I had to treat an animal like that, but I felt like I had no choice.

I'm just glad I happened to be out there doing the evening feeding. If I hadn't been right on the scene at the time, the goat would be dead - simple as that.

Some of you may recall Mouse, the cow that sat like a dog. This is Mouse baby and her new baby :love
IMG_0695.jpg

Do you have a picture, and is she a brown egg layer ?
You can see the brown in the wings on this cockerel

The one I have left lays white egg-- leghorn color suppression for any of the brown genes she got. Some of them did lay brown eggs but they are all gone now except for the on I still have

9 week old cockerels.jpg

We have a trader Joe's near us, but I'm not sure if they have the fertile eggs. Maybe I'll take a trip there to see
Not many of them do. The store in Davis gets their fertile eggs from sonoma county-- about an hour and a half away form them

Well, the goat's alive, at any rate - some nasty punctures on the back/side of her neck. She really ought to see a vet, but after hours emergency for a 17 year old brush goat? I've tucked her up in the hay room for the night. I have banamine and SMZ's on hand (what can I say, I have horses) :rolleyes: now if I can just work out the dosage . . . .

The dog came from down the street; he had a couple of 8 to 10 year old kids that were trying to grab him (whom he was paying no attention to at all). He was just running all over the place; unfortunately, he spotted the minis and thought they looked like fun. He found a place where he managed to squeeze under the fence. Betsy (the mini mule) was all over him; if her mouth was just a bit bigger, we'd probably be talking about a dead dog. Shoot, if Betsy was just Syd's size, that would probably be the case. Syd was after him, too, and I hoped the two of them would be enough to discourage him, but when he spotted Moon he ran over and grabbed the goat and started shaking her. The kids were screaming and crying hysterically, I just ran over, got both hands in the dog's collar (choke chain), lifted his front end off the ground so he couldn't get much leverage, and cranked that collar down "come on dog, let go, let go, you want to breathe? Let go!" He did. The goat ran off; I dragged the dog out of the yard (with Betsy and Syd still trying to get a piece of him). I asked the kids if they had a leash (they didn't), so I hauled the dog to the workshop where I snapped one of my horse leads on his collar (I wasn't going to let go of him until I was sure they'd be able to keep him under control!) They got him home, when they returned the lead, they offered to pay for the goat if she dies. Hopefully, it won't come to that; they were pretty traumatized as it is. I hope they can keep the dog home after this. I had a hot wire a few inches off the ground on the outside of that fence, but it got to be such a nuisance getting shorted out by grass and killing small wildlife that I quit using it. I may need to rig it up again.
I hope the children learned something today!

Back
Top Bottom