BYC Café

Yes....it was a memorable "chapter" in my boy's eventful life. He also skidded across the frozen pond when he was 1 and went splash right into the opening in the center caused by the aeration pump. It was 20 degrees and he couldn't lift himself out. (1/2 acre pond). He tried an tried to get up on the ice. I saw it happen and ran up to the edge of the pond but ice wouldn't support my weight. Scary thing was.....as soon as I ran up he stopped trying to get himself out. I remember thinking "He's exhausted already?? He's a young, fit dog!!" I stooped down and slapped my leg and said "You come!" Trip...you COME!! He dug deep and finally dragged himself up on top of the ice and over to me. I took him home and put a crate by the heat register and turned the heat up.....then took a hair dryer to him. As I reflected later...I think when he saw me come he thought "Oh...she's here....she'll get me"....so he stopped trying. Interestingly, I called the fire dept several days later to ask if they would have come if we called about the dog. They said "Yes....because if we don't....you'll be calling back in 10 minutes about a person AND dog in the pond." Good to know....

Wow you and that dog have sure had an eventful life!!! Haha glad everybody was okay!! Does he have his dew claws? I have read it is easier for dogs to get out if they have them. They dig in with them. And use them to make sharp turns and stops and stuff too And ours always held things with it haha

Many people have died jumping in to save animals so glad you had the sense not to and glad he had the sense, smarts, and determination to keep trying!! Because sadly many do give up or people panic and dive in after them and then they both drown. :(

Or often the human will drown trying to save the dog and the dog will climb out fine on its own.

Back
Top Bottom