BYC Café

Perhaps not totally useless. When I wear gloves (and with all the stuff I do bare-handed, you know it's nasty when I glove up!), the gloves are a constant reminder to me not to touch my face or anything else I don't want to contaminate. Also, I could use some type of disinfectant every couple of minutes on the gloves (channeling Lady Macbeth here); I wouldn't care to do that to my skin. :idunno (hey, look - gloved smiley!)
They are useless on the hands of people frantically running around stores stocking shelves and cashing people out. They are not disinfecting the gloves. Not a bottle of disinfectant in sight.

Morning, still here with 9 inches of snow and counting, but it is starting to blow horizontally.
I bet we will lose power so if I don't show up for a couple of days, no stress.
You should not be stressing over the things that you can not control anyway. Stocks+ value is one of them. It doesn't help and will hinder your health. There will be an economic reset of some sort but we here are all able to make do with what we have and garden and
McGuyver the rest. Hugs!
It's 80.4° here right now, and overcast. Very humid since it rained last night

Nope = just being smart about what we do. The Princess and I just returned from one of our many county parks = no problem social distancing there.
I have brewed an afternoon pot for anyone who is interested.
Same here, just trying to get food but the shelves are always bare lol. I'll take a cup thanks
We are supposed to shelter in place until April 7th
Ouch, not fun

I don't think it is going to be alright. I don't think the majority of Industrialized West is going to properly recover from this.
There are many issues that are going to come to the foreground as the money runs out.
China is way ahead of the game currently. The cold war that has been slowly developing between the USA and China isn't showing any signs of improving. China has massive industrial capacity and nobody there is going to be demanding their rights and individual freedom.
The current sanctions on Iran while they struggle with the virus will not be forgotten.
I can't see Europe doing much to help a USA recession even if they had the money to do so; Trump has spat at them too much.
There must come a point where the vast number of entrepreneurs and small companies can't recover. In the UK for example the advice for the self employed is to claim state benefit. It's hundreds of thousands of people.
There is no guarantee that anyone is going to find a vaccine for this virus.
and much more......

I read the Catalan press to see what is going on here, a very small province comparatively wealthy.
I read the Italian press as much as I can because what is going on there is what is going on in Spain and it seems likely most other places.

I don't think it is going to be alright. I don't think the majority of Industrialized West is going to properly recover from this.
There are many issues that are going to come to the foreground as the money runs out.
China is way ahead of the game currently. The cold war that has been slowly developing between the USA and China isn't showing any signs of improving. China has massive industrial capacity and nobody there is going to be demanding their rights and individual freedom.
The current sanctions on Iran while they struggle with the virus will not be forgotten.
I can't see Europe doing much to help a USA recession even if they had the money to do so; Trump has spat at them too much.
There must come a point where the vast number of entrepreneurs and small companies can't recover. In the UK for example the advice for the self employed is to claim state benefit. It's hundreds of thousands of people.
There is no guarantee that anyone is going to find a vaccine for this virus.
and much more......

I am more optimistic. I think the current system is broken. Excess consumption and pollution are killing us less dramatically but in much higher numbers than this virus will. The crisis will be challenging for all and force a reset. Zombie companies that have limped on since 2008 will finally die. Those that can adapt fast will survive and thrive. Those that couldn't get a foot in the door before will now get a chance to step in. Yes good firms will also fall by the wayside, but they do now. The internet platforms are finally stepping up to accept their responsibilities as publishers, and starting to police what they allow to be put out on their sites. As long as nobody sees war as a solution, the future may be better than the present - which is a feeling I haven't had for a long time.

I am more optimistic. I think the current system is broken. Excess consumption and pollution are killing us less dramatically but in much higher numbers than this virus will. The crisis will be challenging for all and force a reset. Zombie companies that have limped on since 2008 will finally die. Those that can adapt fast will survive and thrive. Those that couldn't get a foot in the door before will now get a chance to step in. Yes good firms will also fall by the wayside, but they do now. The internet platforms are finally stepping up to accept their responsibilities as publishers, and starting to police what they allow to be put out on their sites. As long as nobody sees war as a solution, the future may be better than the present - which is a feeling I haven't had for a long time.
I'm not entirely pessimistic and strangely I like you feel quite optimistic for the long term provided the crisis forces some changes in how we manage our economies and politics.
I'll be dead before any improvements come about I dare say.
I am concerned about the higher possibility of war.

Back
Top Bottom