BYC Café

Good morning Cafe.
Thanks for the coffee Shad.
Hatch started yesterday, but Maria's not showing me anything. She's still sitting on the nest gently clucking encouragement, and tiny cheeps are answering her. The wait is killing me!
It sounds like she is working hard at hatching them!

Enjoy the cool, rain headed your way maybe.
It is. That's fine. I won't have to water the garden.

I met my plumber this morning. He was going to install the drain line for the shower stall but said I need to go deeper and expose more pipe so he has room to install the 1 1/2" Fernco reducer coupling on the Cu pipe coming from the drum trap to transition to 2" PVC. I have to jack into the slab around the pipe right near the new framing I did. He wants me to go down another 4-5 inches. I may bust through under the slab if I do in that area as the pit is already about 6" deep.
I hate jack hammering... I got one stuck down a 30" hole once. The chisel got embedded in a huge rock I was breaking up. I couldn't get it out! I was in a fair panic about it. I had to call the rental company and tell them their hammer was stuck in the hole. They came out the next morning to try to get it out. Turns out, all I had to do was wait until morning. They popped it right out after the chisel and rock cooled down and contracted. Kinda embarrassing really.

It is. That's fine. I won't have to water the garden.

I met my plumber this morning. He was going to install the drain line for the shower stall but said I need to go deeper and expose more pipe so he has room to install the 1 1/2" Fernco reducer coupling on the Cu pipe coming from the drum trap to transition to 2" PVC. I have to jack into the slab around the pipe right near the new framing I did. He wants me to go down another 4-5 inches. I may bust through under the slab if I do in that area as the pit is already about 6" deep.
I hate jack hammering... I got one stuck down a 30" hole once. The chisel got embedded in a huge rock I was breaking up. I couldn't get it out! I was in a fair panic about it. I had to call the rental company and tell them their hammer was stuck in the hole. They came out the next morning to try to get it out. Turns out, all I had to do was wait until morning. They popped it right out after the chisel and rock cooled down and contracted. Kinda embarrassing really.
Now you know more about jackhammers! and contraction and expansion of metal compared to rock.

Nice bit of science there

It sounds like she is working hard at hatching them!
yes she's very devoted. She's now moved out of the nesting box with def 2 chicks and possibly 1 unhatched egg, leaving 5 in the nest box. I think they're all duds - they weigh a lot more than they should do. This was my first time with shipped eggs, and only 1 of the 6 hatched, so that's not an encouragement to go that route again. The other two, one of which def hatched because the shell was left behind and I've seen 2 chicks, are home grown SFH x Welsummers. There is one egg to account for, not left in the nest box as a whole or in bits, and I suspect she's still working on getting that one out.

Laughing with and Crying for ya.
Hang in there DL!

yes she's very devoted. She's now moved out of the nesting box with def 2 chicks and possibly 1 unhatched egg, leaving 5 in the nest box. I think they're all duds - they weigh a lot more than they should do. This was my first time with shipped eggs, and only 1 of the 6 hatched, so that's not an encouragement to go that route again. The other two, one of which def hatched because the shell was left behind and I've seen 2 chicks, are home grown SFH x Welsummers. There is one egg to account for, not left in the nest box as a whole or in bits, and I suspect she's still working on getting that one out.
Shipped eggs are tough to hatch!

IMG_20200716_120041257.jpg

I'm very pleasantly surprised at how good Veronica is as a mother. She is super gentle with these bantam chicks!
When Kerrie was scratching for her brood she was slinging screeching peepers all over the place.
Veronica is scratching with little tiny strokes and she feeds them little tiny bits of food. I'm very proud of her! :love
She's had lots of visitors on the coop side of the brooder so everyone knows there are new chicks.

Good luck with that last egg! At least she didn't abandon it like Kerrie did with MaeDay.

Veronica is scratching with little tiny strokes
that's so sweet. My Eve is prone to behave more like Kerrie and send them flying, while Maria is more like Veronica, but not that good. She has now gone back to the nest, so if there is an unhatched egg under her, she's rolled it back and over the lip...or carried it under a wing perhaps...?

Back
Top Bottom