BYC Café

Well... this little one was happily welcomed by her cousins. Her cousins were thrilled to have their adoptive mother back with them.
I opened the brooder door and put Astrid on the floor. She made her way into the brooder, chick in tow. I had just put food in the bowl for the bantams and the hatchling walked up and started pecking at it with them. They treated her like she'd been there all along.
View attachment 2281546
I'm pleased that seems to have worked out okay. Shame about the other eggs. I dare say you'll have other broodies before long.

Ghastly, humid, hot, sweaty and irritating day today. Someone dumped a shed load of mosquitoes outside my door. Got stung by a wasps three times.
The clouds that looked like they may take at least some of the heat out of the day buggered off before mid day. The mountain weather station people say we may get a storm tomorrow. They've been a lot more reliable with the weather than the net forecasters; might have something to do with actually being here.
The air temp is going to drop by 8 to 10 degrees they say but the real feel only by 2.:( The middle of next week should take 10C off all round. I'll be in a much better disposition when and if I get there.
Mountain rescue have been out picking up runners. What sort of idiot goes running in these weather conditions. One of them is seriously ill apparently.

Any idea at what day they died?

FANTASTIC!!

I've been calling this last week of cool, cool weather a 'false fall'....kind of like a counterpart to 'indian summer'.

My cocks have always started to molt the first week of August, it is just past Lughnasadh/Lammas after all, and the days are shortening more quickly now.
A couple girls are dropping a few feathers too....have one hen acting off yesterday and today, not sure what her deal is, might isolate tonight for an exam.
I don't know when the eggs died but my guess would be shortly after their day under the brooder plate. My fault. Lesson learned.
I opened the sliding door into the coop and Astrid immediately took her brood out, had a big huge wing flap, put the boots to a pullet who got too close, then settled in to preen while warming her chick.
IMG_20200808_114214741.jpg

Big Daddy came in but didn't attempt to meet the chicks yet. Astrid puffed up at him so he left her alone.
IMG_20200808_114255278.jpg

Back
Top Bottom