BYC Café

Cap, hon, ever hear the expression about teaching your grandmother to suck eggs?:)

We have a bit more than 7 acres of what can be very soggy ground at times (do Venus Flytraps tell you anything? We got 'em!) The combination of record rain in 2018, Florence, a drought, then Dorian, has killed probably 70% of the upper story trees on our property (mostly pines). Isaias actually did me a favor - there was a grape-vine-covered pine that had been leaning toward the house ever since Florence pushed it that way. With Isaias making landfall to our south and west, we got some pretty strong wind from the east, and it knocked the top off that tree so that it fell away from the house. Until you have experienced the dense jungle that woods commonly are around here, it may seem hard to believe that a tree close enough to fall on the house was virtually inaccessible, but it was (for one thing, it grew on the edge of a small sinkhole). Not having that thing hanging over my back porch is a great relief, but yeah, every time we get a decent storm come through, I go around to see what new dead falls I get to pick up.

But I had just finished reading a news item about a weather phenomenon called a derecho that was wreaking havoc across several states in the upper midwest today, and what @aart posted sure looks like it!
I don't have any grannies! :hit

It's over! Was windy and lost another branch off an already damaged tree out front but it just missed the fence. Lost ISP a couple times, but power never flickered, tho I did turn off my laptop for the duration. Everything else is AOK.

Yes, was same system....much worse earlier between Iowa and the Lake....it really slowed as it hit our coast. Whew!
That is good news!

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

I managed to get the dogs out for a quick run after work yesterday. As I was coming out of the wooded trail along the creek bed I heard Bella start screaming. I turned around and she was ripping through the woods like her arse was on fire just shrieking. I thought she'd gotten it good by a woodchuck. When she got to me she sat down and spun around to her right hip where I saw what we've always not so affectionately referred to as a B-52 bomber latched on to her. These are brown faced horse flies about 2 inches long that will send a horse into a craze trying to get it off. I gave it a slap hard enough to get it off Bella then stomped it into oblivion. Bella was so shaken up by this she was glued to my leg.

I took her down to the creek to wade in her pool and that seemed to settle her down.
As we were walking out of the creek bed, my reading glasses on my head, phone in right hand, coffee (must always carry coffee) in my left hand, something started buzzing around my right ear. I swatted at it but it was very loud, very persistent and I started to panic. I moved my coffee mug between my left elbow and side and held my phone with my left hand to free my right hand to really get this thing away from me.

I couldn't get it to go away!! I went into Bella panic mode bending down and swapping like a recently released asylum patient sending my reading glasses flying and causing my coffee to spill out directly onto my phone! I did finally get the insect to leave... it was likely just a gnat. I blame Bella for the entire incident going down that way.

Last edited:
Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

I managed to get the dogs out for a quick run after work yesterday. As I was coming out of the wooded trail along the creek bed I heard Bella start screaming. I turned around and she was ripping through the woods like her arse was on fire just shrieking. I thought she'd gotten it good by a woodchuck. When she got to me she sat down and spun around to her right hip where I saw what we've always not so affectionately referred to as a B-52 bomber latched on to her. These are brown faced horse flies about 2 inches long that will send a horse into a craze trying to get it off. I gave it a slap hard enough to get it off Bella then stomped it into oblivion. Bella was so shaken up by this she was glued to my leg.

I took her down to the creek to wade in her pool and that seemed to settle her down.
As we were walking out of the creek bed, my reading glasses on my head, phone in right hand, coffee (must always carry coffee) in my left hand, something started buzzing around my right ear. I swatted at it but it was very loud, very persistent and I started to panic. I moved my coffee mug between my left elbow and side and held my phone with my left hand to free my right hand to really get this thing away from me.

I couldn't get it to go away!! I went into Bella panic mode bending down and swapping like a recently released asylum patient sending my reading glasses flying and causing my coffee to spill out directly onto my phone! I did finally get the insect to leave... it was likely a just a gnat. I blame Bella for the entire incident going down that way.
And the worst we had to deal with yesterday was a meat bee!

Back
Top Bottom