BYC Café

Ever since I've lived here (>20 years) there has been a little dip in a bit of the road nearby, such the car will bounce a bit coming out of it. Periodically the council have come along and we have traffic control for weeks/months, some work is done, they pack up, and there's still a dip but it's not as deep. I had always assumed it was water washing away the ground under the road, as the road runs along a contour of a sloping hill and whenever it rains hard, water pours off the hill and spills across the road in numerous places. The last repairs were in the spring, but it was less than a month before the dip returned big time and traffic control was back to limit vehicles to one side of the road only. Yesterday concrete barriers were installed (because locals had removed ordinary road closed signs apparently!) and the whole road's shut, because it turns out it's a sinkhole under there and it's now the complete width of the road! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54368241
It needs a long detour to avoid this little bit of road; I do hope they fix it quickly. It will be wrecking school bus routes and timetables, amongst other things. But as someone who drives this road regularly, I'm also glad they haven't waited until there literally was a hole in the road down which some unsuspecting motorist could disappear :eek:
We had a sink hole here under a road that was caused by a broken sewer pipe. The water coming in washed the roadway down the pipe. Eventually it removed 30 feet deep and 40feet wide of dirt and soil! The road was closed for about a month while it was fixed

The daily death numbers are not showing up on the dashboard here yet. There is usually a lag though. One pattern was young people catch covid and then their parents catch it and then finally the grand parents over 65 get it.

For those over 65, the current death rate is a bit over 5%. For the younger group the death rate is about the same as influenza, around .3%
Yeah but, 5% and 3% of what?
Of the people who have tested positive for the virus?
The people who have Covid on their death certificate because it was detected but may not have been the cause of death.
As a percentage of per million population I think you'll find it's somewhere around 0.05%! Hardly a species threatening statistic is it...

The short but furious hail/rain/thunder event earlier was pretty neat to see.
But more hail later, in the full sun, made this rainbow(hailbow?) right in my backyard!! 8-0

View attachment 2355658

View attachment 2355666
I hope you rushed to the end of it to pick up that pot of gold!
Lovely pic and it's wonderful when a rainbow starts or stops where you can see it.

Good evening Cafe.
There is a pot of tea brewing on the counter.
It stayed dry today despite the forecast. Storms are still on their way though.

I went supermarket shopping today. Interesting to see how many of the brands and product lines they used to stock on a regular basis are being replaced by what they can get.
We should for example be getting a glut of apples and pears from the Girona area about now but they're not on the shelves. Same for the last of the seasons tomatoes that are locally grown; not on the shelves.
A lot of the supermarket veg and fruit is coming from Portugal and South America.:confused:

Last edited:
We should for example be getting a glut of apples and pears from the Girona area about now but they're not on the shelves. Same for the last of the seasons tomatoes that are locally grown; not on the shelves.
I hope they are not just rotting in the orchards and fields. I attended the FAO food loss and waste webinar 2 days ago, and was shocked to hear that a third of all food produced is lost or wasted - and that's in a normal year.

I hope they are not just rotting in the orchards and fields. I attended the FAO food loss and waste webinar 2 days ago, and was shocked to hear that a third of all food produced is lost or wasted - and that's in a normal year.
Peoples buying preferences are dictated by looks rather than taste. A bit of growing your own should help put paid to that.
The supermarkets are mainly responsible for this. They wont buy from the farms unless the produce meets a certain criteria.

Back
Top Bottom