BYC Café

Afternoon! Practice went well with the new team and DS$ likes the HS Coaches there along with his old HS Coaches, so he has a lot to work with. They can trade-off when they get tired... The new team also said, "Okay," to him wrestling outside with the club as well, so absolutely nothing to complain about.
I hope you all have a great weekend!
Aart, why would they care about chickens?

Aart, why would they care about chickens?
Speculation is that if I'm selling(eggs or meat) there would be people coming over(liability).
Hopefully a dozen chickens with no selling (just some sharing with friends) should pass muster with no further action/questions/policy changes.

What a gorgeous day today! The sunshine was very much appreciated.

Also appreciated were the two eggs I got! The first two-egg day since last November. And they are as big now as they were at the end of the season last fall, so maybe they'll size up a little bit. It would be nice if they got to the "large" designation...

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.
The well shocking didn't go to plan. We can't get the cap off! The bolts are spinning after we loosened the nuts. The cap is nearly at ground level. I think there must be a head on the under side of the cap somewhere so we are going to dig around it today to see if we can find any to put a box wrench on. If we can't get it off today, tomorrow I'll call the company that replaced the pump and asking them how we get the cap off.
I'm running into to road blocks even now...

When people write about hens fighting over nest boxes, I don't think they mean what I saw in the coop this morning.
I heard a ruckus in the coop while doling out the seed in the run and could hear Napoleon in there so I assumed we was making advances on much larger unwilling ladies.
What I found when I went in was Mallory, one of Fabio's daughters hatched the last day in April, and Veronica, aka Mommy Dearest, going to town. Full out flared hackles, wings down, and flogging each other. It started with Mallory all puffed up and slow walking on the perch in front of the nest boxes glaring down at Veronica. I broke them up by shoving Veronica aside and scooping up Mallory. But when I set Mallory down on the poop board I could tell she was going to march right back down and resume the battle. She did. This time I shot Mal out the door. Shortly thereafter, the two were battling it out in the run with the rest of the flock and I assumed Fabio would step in if he felt it necessary.
He didn't. Seneca did! My crusty butt patient. She drove off Veronica.
I look at this as a sign that Veronica really should be sold. I need to do some subtraction this year and I just don't think that girl is playing with a full deck. I'll have to figure out who in the flock may like her and she'll go with her.
I just found the entire dynamics very interesting. Why the fight started, the not backing down and who steps up to the plate to act as sheriff and put a stop to the unrest.

Back
Top Bottom