BYC Café

I'll tell you, after the 41" that got dumped on us before Christmas, these threats of 4-9" don't make me even bat an eye!
I hear ya.
It just kinda cracks me up when the plow crews and weather guessers get all excited by these kind of forecasts, more common when we've had little snow all season.

I'm not sure, Aart. It wasn't one of my customers, but I do know the guy that dealt with it. I will get some more specifics.

There are a few articles I found about the presence of mercury in bleach and it being used in the process of making it. It's worth noting that well sanitizers are calcium hypochlorite and not sodium.
Using Bleach as a Disinfectant - Environmental Health & Safety (utoronto.ca)
I've too have heard the household bleach is not what to use in shocking wells.

I'll tell you, after the 41" that got dumped on us before Christmas, these threats of 4-9" don't make me even bat an eye!
Yikes, that is a ton! We've gotten so little snow it's scary. Supposed to be back into the 40's by Thursday! But I won't complain. It's good for calving and walking-popsicles like myself :lol:

For the very little snow we've gotten, our road gets plowed a lot! We've joked that Ionia County has hired a second plow driver. In years past, there have been days we can't get out. We've driven over the farmer's field several times over the years too. As long as you can see the corn stumps, you know how deep the snow is. This last fall, they plowed and planted winter wheat. Scratch that escape route.

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

We got the biopsy results back yesterday. DH has "unfavorable intermediate" stage prostate cancer. The doctor took samples all around the prostate, not just on the spot seen on the MRI. Out of 15 samples collected, 10 had cancer cells. Mostly graded 3, some 4 on a scale of 1-5 where 1 & 2 are considered benign.

Options are complete removal of the prostate (RP) and surrounding lymph nodes (PLND) or external beam radiation treatment (EBRT) plus hormone therapy (ADT) for 4-6 months.

If we go the radiation route, there are a lot of potential complications and he'd have to go to the hospital 5 days a week for 4-6 months for the treatments.

If we go the prostatectomy route, he'll have a catheter in for one week and when it comes out, he will be instantly incontinent and have to wear adult diapers. Continence fully returns in most men by 6 months post op. About 7% of men will not regain continence 1 year post op.

Lots to think about.

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

We got the biopsy results back yesterday. DH has "unfavorable intermediate" stage prostate cancer. The doctor took samples all around the prostate, not just on the spot seen on the MRI. Out of 15 samples collected, 10 had cancer cells. Mostly graded 3, some 4 on a scale of 1-5 where 1 & 2 are considered benign.

Options are complete removal of the prostate (RP) and surrounding lymph nodes (PLND) or external beam radiation treatment (EBRT) plus hormone therapy (ADT) for 4-6 months.

If we go the radiation route, there are a lot of potential complications and he'd have to go to the hospital 5 days a week for 4-6 months for the treatments.

If we go the prostatectomy route, he'll have a catheter in for one week and when it comes out, he will be instantly incontinent and have to wear adult diapers. Continence fully returns in most men by 6 months post op. About 7% of men will not regain continence 1 year post op.

Lots to think about.
I am sorry, have a big hug :hugs

ETA: I was hoping for a better outcome.

As far as I know (some prostate cancer cases among friends and neighbours), the radiation + hormones therapy often leads to incontinence also and additional nausea, edema etc. due to the hormones.

I can imagine that you two will have a hard time to decide which route to go.

Last edited:
I can imagine that you two will have a hard time to decide which route to go.
Sadly, he is incapable of making a decision for himself. It will fall to me.
I am leaning towards surgery as it sounds better for a fully curative outcome and the Dr. mentioned being able to implant a mesh sling to help him with the incontinence if he is one of the men in the 7% group.

Sadly, he is incapable of making a decision for himself. It will fall to me.
I am leaning towards surgery as it sounds better for a fully curative outcome and the Dr. mentioned being able to implant a mesh sling to help him with the incontinence if he is one of the men in the 7% group.
I guess that is what I would choose too. Getting it over and done with instead of passing entire months in hospital for ongoing radiation and hormonal procedures with arguable outcome.

What did the Dr. recommend?

Back
Top Bottom