BYC Café

Brewers yeast is a good idea!

20% protein is good and an all flock type of poultry feed with free choice calcium and grit. Limited treats.

Also remember to make sure they are wormed.
I will get some brewers yeast.

I do feed All Flock (20% Country Companion brand) but I do mix my feed. They get cracked corn (gasp!) and wheat along with it. As a general rule, I do not share this because of how taboo it is around here. :confused: They get free choice oyster shell and the occasional meal worms. Scraps once in a very great while.

Worming...shouldn't they be checked for worm load? I realize fecals don't always tell a complete story. I know your part of the country is different for bugs and people have to regularly de-worm, de-flea etc. Do you have a set schedule for worming? Or do you see worms, then worm them? I have seen worms on occasion, but it has never appeared to develop into a problem. I have never wormed my flock.

I will get some brewers yeast.

I do feed All Flock (20% Country Companion brand) but I do mix my feed. They get cracked corn (gasp!) and wheat along with it. As a general rule, I do not share this because of how taboo it is around here. :confused: They get free choice oyster shell and the occasional meal worms. Scraps once in a very great while.

Worming...shouldn't they be checked for worm load? I realize fecals don't always tell a complete story. I know your part of the country is different for bugs and people have to regularly de-worm, de-flea etc. Do you have a set schedule for worming? Or do you see worms, then worm them? I have seen worms on occasion, but it has never appeared to develop into a problem. I have never wormed my flock.
The wheat is likely not a problem. The corn can be though. I would skip them for breeding season.

Worming is controversial but should be done before breeding.

Luckily you can work on flock health. Those of us that rely on shipped egg cannot do that...but I wish I could!

The wheat is likely not a problem. The corn can be though. I would skip them for breeding season.

Worming is controversial but should be done before breeding.

Luckily you can work on flock health. Those of us that rely on shipped egg cannot do that...but I wish I could!
You cannot have roosters where you are?

One of these days I'll necropsy an old hen to see what her composition/condition is like.

My little star gazer is seemingly just fine this morning! Will continue with the vitamin E for a couple of days.
View attachment 2544449
So many great pics Meg!😍 If you can, try to take them sideways in landscape mode so you can submit them for future contests & calendar pics.

I do feed All Flock (20% Country Companion brand) but I do mix my feed. They get cracked corn (gasp!) and wheat along with it. As a general rule, I do not share this because of how taboo it is around here.
Well, it's frowned upon because it does lower/dilute the overall nutrition of the feed,
especially the vitamin/minerals/amino acids.

Well, it's frowned upon because it does lower/dilute the overall nutrition of the feed,
especially the vitamin/minerals/amino acids.
Yes, I know why it's frowned upon. I don't recommend my way of doing it, as I wouldn't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction. What works for some may not be the best path for others. It works for me.

If I find I can supplement something that is lacking or diluted to the point of causing a problem, I sure will. I have no interest in harming my birds.

Back
Top Bottom