BYC Café

Beautiful day out there.

@DobieLover, yesterday I took your suggestion to give my cockerel the treats to beak out to his ladies. That went very well.

Lately, he's been coming up to me, chest out, hackles up, and going for my feet. It's when I go to set the pan of their food as mash down and the girls all crowd around that he gets ornery with me. I tell him, "chickie snack!" and he usually backs down and starts to tidbit for the girls. (Yes, I know he can't understand English.)

So now I need treats that I can hand over to him. I really want to show him I'm the good guy here. Holding him down keeps him in line for only a couple days, it seems.

He's almost one year old. Is there light at the end of this tunnel? Or maybe he's just a lost cause. Sigh.

Or maybe he's just a lost cause. Sigh.
After spending about 5 months thoroughly pissing off Fabio with the construction of my coop and run and getting near daily floggings for my troubles, it took nearly another year to convince him I wasn't a threat to him or the flock. Your boy doesn't sound so bad.
I very much try to interact with Fabio more than the girls. He's still not 100% sure around me but he's shown zero aggression for a year or so.
It takes time and patience. Most people don't want to bother. I'd rather learn.
I've since had 8 cockerels/roosters in the flock and none have ever been aggressive with me. So Fabio was a great teacher.

Back
Top Bottom