BYC Café

2 of my 3 hens are molting quite a bit now, and neither have laid in a few weeks. One laying hen does not enough eggs make, so I've had to buy some.

One of the pullets has noticeable dark pink in her comb and wattles, but they're small yet. The other two have just barely some pink. They were 16 weeks on Saturday.

The pullets don't use their roost. It's out of pecking range from the adult roost, and a few inches lower. I have two other things they can roost on, but they prefer to make a cuddle huddle in the corner.

I have six older chickens and sixteen pullets that are twenty-two weeks old and I have not been able to integrate them.

They chase the pullets and peck at them.
Are they confined to a small area or are you talking about roosting at night?
My girls are fortunate to have a large barn area and lots of outdoor space so they can keep away from the older girls when necessary.

The pullets don't use their roost. It's out of pecking range from the adult roost, and a few inches lower. I have two other things they can roost on, but they prefer to make a cuddle huddle in the corner.
Interesting. I've never had pullets that didn't want to hit the roost at some point. Earlier if they have a "Mom" to take them up and protect them. Then they are accustomed to being there and that is where they want to be.

I'm still moving some off the top of the people door which, being higher than the roosts, would actually be the preferred place to be other than it is totally not predator proof. I'm sure they would be on the roost if none of the older birds decided to sit in "their spot".

Tonight Penelope was there against the front wall. She didn't seem to bother the 6 younger ones as I relocated them from the door and alpaca stand. 2 of the younger ones were already on the roost, just not in their regular spot, they came over when I put the other 4 up. Eventually they'll get the pecking order figured out and all go in to the roosts. At least I hope so, it has always worked that way in the past.

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

Little Napoleon I'm sure will be rarin' to get out. He got himself locked into the maternity ward last night.
He had the audacity to start going after Remington and was pecking her to drive her off from the roost spot she'd taken. I gave him a poke that startled him so bad he lept straight up and fell off the poop board he was perched on and landed on the floor right near the ward door. So I shoved him in a closed it.
Fabio wouldn't dream of doing such a thing as pecking any hen that was near him. Quite the contrary. The girls pile up next to him because they know they won't get pecked if they are with him. That little runt has some learning to do.

How are the building projects going @DobieLover ?
Maybe you're too busy with them to post or are sharing elsewhere.
I miss your stories.
I haven't worked on anything since getting back from vacation. DH had an unexpected medical issue towards the end of our vacation that I've been dealing with. He's okay but it scared me.
I need to get back to work this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom