BYC Café

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

I'm on day 4 of making my first small batch of black garlic.

Thankfully, my Dr. called in the higher dose meloxicam prescription for me.
I have never heard of black garlic. We have neighbors who grow it commercially, and every year we trade them salmon for garlic. We end up with a lot more garlic than we can use, so I usually just peel and toss the cloves in the freezer.

I saw the BYC Coffee house thread was a good attempt in 2011, and then it stopped. So, I want to restart it.

Here is one of the several places you can chat about anything (assuming you follow BYC rules). I know there are already several of threads kind of like this, but I wanted a café to hang out in, and the one I saw I liked has been dormant for 4 years so here it is revived.
hey king, how's it going now?

I have never heard of black garlic.
I learned of it about 3 years ago when a foodie friend/co-worker gave me some.
What does black garlic taste like...compared to fresh garlic?
Absolutely delicious!
It doesn't taste like regular garlic. It's described as tasting like "aged balsamic" with a very mild flavor of garlic. No garlic smell and the fermentation process supposedly increases antioxidants.
I love using it in the soups/stews I make during the colder months.

It's described as tasting like "aged balsamic" with a very mild flavor of garlic. No garlic smell and the fermentation process supposedly increases antioxidants.
I love using it in the soups/stews I make during the colder months.
How do you store it after it is prepared?

How do you store it after it is prepared?
I put it in a plastic bag and keep it in the fridge. I've used bulbs that are 6 months old without a problem.
You can buy black garlic at higher quality grocery stores if you want to try it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom