BYC Café

Hello, Cafe’!

Another school year is in the books. I am so looking forward to summer! In two weeks I’ll begin my annual 3-week camp cooking stint, and then… I have no idea. Maybe experimenting with my new toy. I bought a freeze dryer. We’re going to pick it up from my brother next week. He works retail, and gets a 20% discount on all of his purchases. The dryer is a discontinued model, so he got another 10% off. I can’t wait to get started!

I bought a freeze dryer. We’re going to pick it up from my brother next week. He works retail, and gets a 20% discount on all of his purchases. The dryer is a discontinued model, so he got another 10% off. I can’t wait to get started!
I keep thinking I want one. I'd love to hear what you think of yours.
Here are my concerns:
How loud are they?
What temp (min/max) can the ambient temp in the room be?
Do they need a 220 line?
Hey does anyone use a auto door on their coop
I don't. I know myself well enough that I'd always wonder... did that thing close/open? My neighbor has one, and more than once I walked by mid-morning and it was still closed.

Good afternoon, Café!

A freshly brewed pot is on the counter to share. :caf

But I feel much better knowing that Piper seems perfectly fine.
Good to hear that all went well!
I spent 2.5 hrs cutting, limbing, and dropped one leaner, yesterday at a friend's house.
I think we need to invite you to visit us for a nice work holiday!
After the recent storms we have quite a number of leaners and some other big oak trees that need to come down and be sawed and stacked nicely. :D
I bought a freeze dryer.
Sounds interesting.
Hey does anyone use a auto door on their coop ?

Yes, we do actually have five and it is a great help although I still do the headcount at night and sometimes have to bring some late dawdler in so noone will be left out for the night.

We have timer settings in the morning and twilight sensors for evening settings that also have a 'late time' setting on timer to make sure its closes even in full moon summer nights.

Last edited:
Good morning and thanks for the hot coffee!
Try not to overdo it, DL!
It says 32F for the deck and we are supposed to get some rain later on. I hope!
I looked at the auto-doors, but our weather is not about sun or none, it is about being blown to KS or not.
I cut another 2 hrs after taking my friend to the doc. I am not a fan of the wheelchair...
I think today, maybe construct a buck-rail fence, maybe finish up with the last of the trees on my friend's place. DH took care of the tree that came down 2 nights ago on our place. I think a couple more are loose.
Oh well, time to get on with it. Enjoy the wonderful day, Cafe!

Back
Top Bottom