BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. chiklee

chiklee Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    may fall garden Mustard greens radishes scallions and lemon balm every thing still green here so far in Pa

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Does anyone sell their veggies?

3. chiklee

chiklee Chillin' With My Peeps

I sold lots apples garlic lettuce broccoli and stuff this year but I am done for the year . Pa the gardens are slowing down we will be cold soon . so I am harvesting now for winter storage.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I used to grow sweet corn in our backyard plot (25' x 25') best corn I ever had in my life. Too old to do all the digging, bending, and shoveling now. But I sure loved the picking and eating.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What if you could just stick the seeds in the ground and ignore them until it's time to harvest? Check out The no work garden by "Ruth Stout". This year, my corn had 2 big well filled ears on every stalk, and not a single ear or corn worm... No digging involved except to stick the seeds in the soil.

BTW, how old is too old??? I'm still 58, but only dig when I have to. That's why they call me LG.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  6. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

How do you work out your prices?

7. fleedo

fleedo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    Anyone know anything about growing in clay soil

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Yes, that's all we have. Depends on what you want to grow.

For vegetables, annual flowers : Clay requires lots of soil improvements - compost. Some "experts" recommend adding sand but don't, clay + sand + water = cement . And a strong tiller.

For Shrubs, back hoe.

9. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    That's all I have as well and I turn the cleanings from the hen house, rabbit and guinea pig right into it with a fork plus compost whenever I can clean that out. I've lived here for 2 years now and my gardens this year vs. last year...what a tremendous difference. There were whole garden beds where absolutely nothing...not even weeds were growing and now my chrysanthemums are almost up to my shoulders (I'm 5'6"). It has helped bring the few shrubs that were already here back from the death's door too. So far all my herbs and veg have been in pots because there hasn't been enough sunlight in the area I want to plant but I've been clearing out alders to make room for raised veg beds for next year.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  10. RustedOak

RustedOak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Waco, Texas
    Unless you want to break your back with unnecessary labor, I'd suggest building or purchasing raised beds and/or container gardening... or you can sheet mulch heavily. Either way, you need lots of soil improvement with compost, fall leaves, hay, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by