Do you garden?

• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
I used to grow sweet corn in our backyard plot (25' x 25') best corn I ever had in my life. Too old to do all the digging, bending, and shoveling now. But I sure loved the picking and eating.

I used to grow sweet corn in our backyard plot (25' x 25') best corn I ever had in my life. Too old to do all the digging, bending, and shoveling now. But I sure loved the picking and eating.
What if you could just stick the seeds in the ground and ignore them until it's time to harvest? Check out The no work garden by "Ruth Stout". This year, my corn had 2 big well filled ears on every stalk, and not a single ear or corn worm... No digging involved except to stick the seeds in the soil.

BTW, how old is too old??? I'm still 58, but only dig when I have to. That's why they call me LG.

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about growing in clay soil
Yes, that's all we have. Depends on what you want to grow.

For vegetables, annual flowers : Clay requires lots of soil improvements - compost. Some "experts" recommend adding sand but don't, clay + sand + water = cement . And a strong tiller.

For Shrubs, back hoe.

Yes, that's all we have. Depends on what you want to grow.

For vegetables, annual flowers : Clay requires lots of soil improvements - compost. Some "experts" recommend adding sand but don't, clay + sand + water = cement . And a strong tiller.

For Shrubs, back hoe.

That's all I have as well and I turn the cleanings from the hen house, rabbit and guinea pig right into it with a fork plus compost whenever I can clean that out. I've lived here for 2 years now and my gardens this year vs. last year...what a tremendous difference. There were whole garden beds where absolutely nothing...not even weeds were growing and now my chrysanthemums are almost up to my shoulders (I'm 5'6"). It has helped bring the few shrubs that were already here back from the death's door too. So far all my herbs and veg have been in pots because there hasn't been enough sunlight in the area I want to plant but I've been clearing out alders to make room for raised veg beds for next year.

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about growing in clay soil
Unless you want to break your back with unnecessary labor, I'd suggest building or purchasing raised beds and/or container gardening... or you can sheet mulch heavily. Either way, you need lots of soil improvement with compost, fall leaves, hay, etc.

Back
Top Bottom