BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

I do the water buckets for lomas in the spring but by the end of the season the greenhouse is too crowded...[​IMG]
    What's a graveyard candle? I've used kerosene lanterns before... Anything like that?

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

No, just a regular slow burning candle in a plastic casing with a metal lid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Images stolen from prisma.fi and vastavalo.fi

3. hennible

That's a good temporary solution.. Just place the candles around the plants that are most sensitive.

4. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

They should actually heat the air in the whole greenhouse enough to raise the temp a few degrees, depending on the size of your greenhouse of course. I've been thinking about the option of placing a compost inside a greenhouse. If you would time it right, you could get quite a lot of heat out of it in fall. Plus it would probably work better throughout the winter in there.

5. hennible

I saw someone using hot composting to heat water and circulating the water ( in tubes ) through their green house to heat it.... Then you don't lose space to the pile in your growing area.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    The difference between a cold frame and a hot frame is hot compost in the bottom of a hot frame which kicks out a lot of heat to keep things warm. One writer I remember used 18" of horse manure in the bottom of the bed, covered with a good layer of soil.

1 person likes this.
  7. hennible

Thank you! That's a great idea!!! Thank you lazy gardener, I will be reading about and building those.

8. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I'm thinking mold or mildew is potentially toxic to chickens. Or a respiratory irritant at a minimum. If you have something mildew or moldy, personally, I would not give it to my chickens or at least try to rinse off the powdery mildew. IMHO.

9. LordStark

LordStark Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    Australia NSW
    Harvested my radishes (there's heaps more than this), quality is mixed but I'm quite pleased with the result. Plus the girls can eat the leaves.

[​IMG]

Planting pumpkin and mustard greens this afternoon. Planted some tomatoes through the week and my corn seedlings are starting to pop up.

10. hennible

Nice... French breakfast radishes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by