BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

And pansies

2. Evewon

Evewon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014

Thanks! Do you think a little bit of powdery mildew on my bee balm would harm my girls?

3. hennible

I doubt it.... Can't be any worse than the stuff mine eat free ranging. Some of it is :sick

4. Evewon

Oct 5, 2014

Awesome! Thanks!

5. chiklee

chiklee Chillin' With My Peeps

When we plan the gardens we plant it so the rabbits and the chickens can eat every thing that we eat . They eat beets and the greens broccoli yarrow squash cucumbers chicory lettuce tomatoes artichokes kale radish and so on . no matter what I feed them for the day they eat it no devoir it . I give the rabbits apple branches to chew on with the greens and I throw oak leaves to all and they love it . And this is the time of year they like . Cleaning up the gardens they have lots of choices My chickens are like vacuums .
    Jerusalem artichokes amaranth and Good king hennery are their Favorites .

'' Weed and Feed ''

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  6. Evewon

Oct 5, 2014

Thanks, this is super helpful!

7. hennible

Still no snow.... But it's very yucky out here.... Wishing my greenhouse had supplemental heat :(
    Any one use supplemental heat in a greenhouse, and if so what do you use?

8. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Well, neighborhood excitement today. I caught an apple rustler in my orchard. And not just after a snacky apple...he was filling a 45-gal outdoor yard bag. He was so intent on picking as quick as he could that he didn't see me out beyond the grapes working on the chicken coop (I was surprised at how agreeable he was being caught until I realized I confronted him with a rather large hammer). These were not the streetside trees, either. He had to venture a good 50+ feet into the yard.
    Court date on the 5th. Being as how I caught him early (and the cop didn't see it) it will probably be a larceny charge. But REALLY????

By the way, IF people ask I always give them some apples and usually send them home with grapes, too. But this guy was just brazen. Found out he does handyman work for folks at the top of the hill. Had a little talk with them, too, about their light-fingered help.

9. hennible

Brazen is the perfect word for that

10. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Hennible, I don't know if you have the same kind of graveyard candles as we do here, but they're sort of inside a plastic casing and burn for 50-100 hours. Many people use them in their greenhouses when it's barely below freezing to keep the coop air slightly warmer than the outside air and it keeps the plants from freezing. Large water containers inside the greenhouse also balance the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by