BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. chiklee

chiklee Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]I put my radish greens in my salads to give it spark do you? Or do you just feed them to the chickens?

2. LordStark

LordStark Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    Australia NSW
    Yes they're French breakfast radishes. They're very easy to grow and mature fairly quickly. Next time I'll space them out a bit more and see if that improves the size.
    I haven't been eating the leaves, been feeding them to the chooks. But I think I'll have a taste.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I LOVE french breakfast radishes. I love to slice them thin, and put a dab of peanut butter between each 2 slices. Super yummy!!! I always buy a big packet of seeds, and use a sprinkling of seeds as row markers with just about everything I plant. I never do a dedicated planting of radish. Also, the young seed pods are tasty. My girls have been eating all of the seed pods during the past week or so, and there are a lot of them b/c I let a LOT of radishes go to seed.

4. Evewon

Evewon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014

Thanks! I haven't cut anything back yet so I'll just take the bee balm straight to the compost pile just to be safe.

5. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

Looks great. Love that you post photos

6. Evewon

Oct 5, 2014
    What do you all think about feeding Mums to chickens? I know that some organic insecticides are made with pyrethrins which is derived from Chrysanthemums. I have a ton of Mums I use as annuals this time of year and thought they might be a nice snack for the girls when the flowers stop looking so nice. Thanks!

7. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Hmmm... Mine ate fox glove with no problems. I don't know.

1 person likes this.
  8. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    Does anyone have their property registered threw the National Wildlife Federation?
    [​IMG]

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Mums for chickens: I wouldn't worry about them snacking on them if they were free ranging. But, I wouldn't put them in the run where there is not a lot of other forage for them to choose to eat. I think the resins in mums are too high to be a safe green plant for heavy snacking.

10. Evewon

Oct 5, 2014

Thank you! Definitely makes sense!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by