BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. CherMoz

CherMoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    Sounds delicious! What are you doing to get usable apples? We moved to this property about four years ago and are trying to bring the orchard back. Any tips are welcome. (We will be cutting down a cedar tree that I believe is causing apple-cedar rust and have been pruning to get better air flow throughout the trees.) Thanks!

2. Evewon

Evewon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    [​IMG]

Our girls going crazy for Kale this morning! What all do you folks grow for your chickens to snack on? This year I had gourds, brussels sprouts, tomatoes, cabbage, and swiss chard. They didn't meet a green they didn't devour! I've heard of people feeding marigolds to their chicks, but are there any other flowers you all feel comfortable giving your chickens? Thanks in advance!

3. CherMoz

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    Besides what you've already listed, our chooks enjoy turnips - greens and bulbs...

4. CherMoz

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    oh and cucumbers!

5. Evewon

Oct 5, 2014
    Awesome! What kind of bulbs do you feed? Thanks!

6. Evewon

Oct 5, 2014
    Oh I see turnip bulbs lol!

7. CherMoz

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    Right - turnip bulbs [​IMG]

8. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Our orchard was neglected (as in no pruning and minimal H2O) for over a year. Lots of water was what our orchard needed, then a round of Miracle Grow fruit tree stakes in the Spring. I'd suggest doing a spray, too, as we lost quite a few apples to coddling moth. Some trees took longer to come back than others.

9. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    This year I grew your usual vegetable garden: green beans, carrots, beets, peas, zucchini, tomatoes, sweet corn, cukes, dill and sunflowers on the sides to attract pollinators. Being that the free range and get their fill of plantain, dandelion, grass, clover the only thing they're really interested in is the tomatoes, corn and ripe sunflower heads. And weirdly they've been lukewarm about the sunflowers this year compare to other years. Spoiled. Spoiled. Spoiled.

10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Other flowers you can feed: nasturtium, bee balm, purple cone flower, yarrow along with the marigolds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by