• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
Pics
Not usually any problem with pest or disease with pumpkins, squash and such up north here. Although too short of season for watermelons and you need the right soil too for that. I think my Grandma in SE part of the state had success in her sandy garden with watermelons. We're loamy clay. The things we need to watch getting to our squash and pumpkins are the deer. They love 'em.

Hi all! I'm new to chickens and gardening although my mom did both while i was young. I've literally read every post in this thread over the last few days! lol Just trying to soak in all the info I can and have already learned alot. I'm in Central Texas in an urban environment so I'm building a chicken tractor this weekend to house 4-5 ladies. I started a 3bin compost system in the fall and a worm bin earlier this year. I've got one tomato plant and twelve strawberries going. (Cut me some slack, I'm an amateur! I'm also experimenting small scall with aquaponics growing arugala, spinich, and cilantro. Taking baby steps around a busy work schedule but eventually, I'd like to have a full scale urban homestead with a larger AP system, raised bed garden (researching hugelkultur/lasagna gardening/square foot gardening) and a greenhouse. You all have amazing pics and results so I'm keeping up with this thread!

Last edited:
Good luck with the pumpkins, Mr MKK Farms! Here in the South, I've lost out all cucurbit family crops the last few years. This year,
sad.png
, I am resorting to full chemical warfare. I feel like this is a major failure, but we need these to eat. I hear it's better up north, not so much bugs and diseases. Is this so?
Thanks. Aww man.

I believe the bugs are better up here but slugs sure do like our Strawberries.
roll.png

In our particular spot we don't get much sun because we are so shielded by the trees. So we can't grow as much variety, but stuff like potatoes and beans do great.
smile.png

Hi all! I'm new to chickens and gardening although my mom did both while i was young. I've literally read every post in this thread over the last few days! lol Just trying to soak in all the info I can and have already learned alot. I'm in Central Texas in an urban environment so I'm building a chicken tractor this weekend to house 4-5 ladies. I started a 3bin compost system in the fall and a worm bin earlier this year. I've got one tomato plant and twelve strawberries going. (Cut mensome slack, I'm an amateur! I'm also experimenting small scall with aquaponics growing arugala, spinich, and cilantro. Taking baby steps around a bisy work schedule but eventually, I'd like to have a full scale urban homestead with a larger AP system, raised bed garden and a greenhouse. You all have amazing pics and results so I'm keeping up with this thread!
Welcome to the thread!

Sounds like you have a lot going on at your place! Good luck with your chickens and garden.
smile.png

Thank you! All these big ambitions around a 50hr work week, a regularly gigging local band, a wife, 3 kids and a grandbaby! lol I'll sleep when I'm dead I guess! Haha

Thank you! All these big ambitions around a 50hr work week, a regularly gigging local band, a wife, 3 kids and a grandbaby! lol I'll sleep when I'm dead I guess! Haha
Haha! Wow, Busy, busy, busy.

Last edited:
Welcome Huggstaff13, to the official site for garden geeks with chickens! This is a great spot to kick around ideas. I envy you your warm climate for the hydroponics. I've put that on the back burner for now because of logistics of temperature/space requirements. I may drag the concept out and play with it a bit on a very small scale next winter.

Theoretically, I should have planted potatoes this week. But it's SNOWING. Again.[/quote

I hear you there. My potatoes are setting on thekitchen counter, ready to be planted. And look outside-- snow flurries and tonight's low will be 17 degrees. Argh!!
I'm going to try planting potatoes in 5 gallon buckets and
various LARGE pots this year. I researched it some online and it looks promising. I have plenty of other things to plant in the garden... Come on weather! April starts next week!

I've planted potatoes in containers for years because I don't like to dig. I started with free second hand ice cream buckets, but they cracked when I tried to make drainage holes and my husband thought they were ugly. Then I tried large terracotta tubes which worked well. Got them at the landscape store for $1 each. Large potatoes work better than fingerlings for some reason. To make them pretty I sometimes added nasturtiums or trailing beans and the potatoes hated that. What's nice about it is at dinner time you go out with your colander, upend a tube, voila there's supper.

Back
Top Bottom