BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

2. heartsizedfarm

heartsizedfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh yeah, the soil was layered: sand at the bottom for drainage and ease of removal, compost, potting soil, and a thin mulch on top.

3. KentuckyMom

KentuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2013
    Foster, Kentucky
    As soon as the weather cooperates, my potatoes are going out to be planted in their buckets. My husband drilled the holes in the buckets on Saturday. I just don't think the potatoes will grow setting on the kitchen counter!!!!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Hi KY mom! How're you all doing? My garden is still under 3+ feet of snow. An other nasty storm coming tonight. They call it a "Wintercane", because in addition to the 6 - 12" of snow, there will be hurricane force winds with it.

I've got my power converter sitting beside the computer, so if the power goes out, I can still keep the incubator powered up.

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    My garden is under 3+ feet too. But it is because it is next to our pole shed and the snow on the roof of the shed slid right on into my garden. Our snow pack looked less today despite a recent cool down. But tomorrow we'll get 33-34 degrees. You folks out East have just got hammered. Ugh. I feel bad for us...but I feel bad for you too! That's for sure.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    They're getting 20+ inches today, down-east.

7. KentuckyMom

KentuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2013
    Foster, Kentucky
    UGH! Enough snow already! Tuesday it will be April! I have seedlings setting on my countertop too! Every time I feel hopeful-- more cold, wind, and snow!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  8. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I was really on the fence as to whether or not I should even bother with a garden this year with the current drought in California. The rising food prices here was the deciding factor....garden, let the lawn die. Unfortunately I didn't start any seedlings so I had to purchase. Planted tomato, pepper & eggplant today, started sweet potato slips. Garden should be pretty much in by Friday. The weather in the US is just nuts I hope this ain't the new normal!

9. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    These weather patterns are just a little spooky aren't they? I'm hoping they are just trends that go back to "normal" again. But the last two winters have been so frigidly cold. I think we're in a cold cycle now...after 10+ winters of relatively mild winters. And all your lack of rain out west. That's not good either...is it? Last June it rained everyday for us and then not hardly a drop for us the rest of the summer.

I planted yellow pear and Cherokee purple tomatoes 10 days ago. And also some brussell sprouts in some seed starting kits. Not enough summer around here to see harvest on those if I plant mid-May when I usually do the rest of the garden.

But we've got some bare ground showing now out in the yard now. [​IMG]The chooks are a bit land locked to get to the rest of the property with the snow. They were sleepy tonight, nonetheless, with their day of scratching and free-ranging in the 60 degree weather. Felt like heaven....

10. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Here in NM (my new home) Lowe's and Home Depot already have veggie startlets out.... I'm still not convinced we're not going to see nights in the 30's. Seems a bit premature, IMHO.

Yet Spring is trying to arrive. This week the apple trees went into bloom in the Albuquerque area (5000+ feet), which is a delight considering last year there was nary a bit of fruit due to a series of late freezes that froze the blossoms right off the trees. I'm thinking that it's a bumper crop that's following the bummer crop considering the trees didn't have to expend any energy with fruit last year. Hooray! (Wish I knew what kind of apple trees there are in the yard...previous owners didn't leave a guideline for what trees are in the orchard, so it'll be a true surprise this year with my first crop.)

Click on the photo for the "Wow!" factor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by