BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. papaclark

papaclark Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2014
    jackass flats, arizona
    Gardening is what lead me to chickens in the first place. I love growing stuff. Anything, and everything. I have my own Vermipostor going and harvest my own worm castings. Chicken#$%& is touted as a super fertilizer so here we go. Mostly I grow worm food, bird food and compost, (at least that's how it seems)

1 person likes this.
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Same here Papa. I got the chickens to help with the gardening. Free tilling, insect control, and fertilizer. Eggs, meat, and amusement are merely a side benefit. Do you use the chicken poo in your vermicomposter?? I'm assuming that it would be too hot.

3. papaclark

Mar 26, 2014
    jackass flats, arizona
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but spring is upon us......no, I don't use the droppings in my vermiposter, they go into the compost pile. I do a pretty fair amount of composting, (several batches cooking at on time I'm afraid I spoil my worms. All they get are spoiled uncooked fruits and veggies, coffee grinds egg shells. I have several sources for spoiled food. I don't give them any processed veggies, cooked table scraps, breads, pastries. Sometimes uncooked rice, or oats, or cereal no one will eat. I built a box 18 inches wide, 18 inches deep, and four feet long, I paid 35 bucks for a bucket of red wigglers 2 years ago, and now have "jillions" of worms. I harvest probably a 2 lb. coffee can of sifted castings out of 5 gallons of vermipost every few months. I love my worms. I thought maybe I could feed a few to my new found "Chicken Friends", but all the stuff (problems) people have with worms, mites, eye worms, respiratory ailments..I'm afraid to give my chicks anything but starter/grow. I'm 64 years old and I'm either real slow or these little buggers are way fast, but I've had them six weeks and haven't been able to look very close at one yet. They'll eat Mealwoms out of my hand but won't let me touch them. Here I Go rambling.....GARDENING. today I planted 6 tomatoe plants, six bell pepper plants, 6 anaheim green chile plants and 2 cucumbers.

4. heartsizedfarm

heartsizedfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I could plant out in the garden yet. Rhubarb and asparagus coming up from last year and the strawberries and garlic seem to have wintered over well, but I'll be lucky to get tomatoes in a cold frame by the end of the week.

5. papaclark

Mar 26, 2014
    jackass flats, arizona
    I live in Arizona, today's high 72, last night 39. I still stand a chance to lose something if it turns cold again, but with all this sunshine I can't wait for Mother's Day to plant. Today we're planting beets, spinach, green beans, pinto beans. Starting more flower seedlings. Cleaning the coop, turning compost. Busy day.

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    With those mild temps, you must be up at elevation. Seems like summer is almost here in Tucson. If you haven't found us already, drop in and say hello on the BYC Arizona thread. A lot of us there share your interests.

7. Loc20chick

Loc20chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    Eastern Shore MD
    Hi all, just found this thread, last year I planted tomatoes, bell peppers, squash, spinach, leeks and beans. This year I will plant the same plus, African herbs, lettuce, eggplant, broccoli and cauliflower and sunflower seeds for the chickens. Oh and clover n alfalfa

8. Loc20chick

Jan 29, 2014
    Eastern Shore MD
    This year is getting hard on my gardening, just came com outside and there was a freeze during the night, my young lettuce plants are covered in ice, I had 3 tomatoes plants tat survived a previous freeze not sure how they'll fair today. I'll keep trying.

9. heartsizedfarm

heartsizedfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hopefully a bit of sun today will thaw them out?

10. Loc20chick

Jan 29, 2014
    Eastern Shore MD

They survived! :D The sun thawed them, at least I have some hopes, I'm planting in makeshift containers more veggies to replant after they germinate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by