BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

2. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Went to a restaurant where they used the rhubarb as a vegetable, chopped it up and made like a hash out of it (other veggies, like butternut squash and onions) to serve along with chops. It was REALLY good! It took a minute or two to figure out that it wasn't celery....

1 person likes this.
  3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    MIL has made a Rhubarb cake that is to die for. I actually have the recipe now and it is in my spring baking repertoire. It consistently gets rave reviews from friends, co-workers, etc. Has a crunchy cinnamon sugar topping --reminds me a lot of coffee cake. Mmmm. Soon I'll be getting to bake it....

4. Loc20chick

Loc20chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    Eastern Shore MD
    care to share the recipe, I've never made a rhubarb cake before[​IMG]

5. heartsizedfarm

heartsizedfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone love garlic? I planted four different varieties in the fall and they've just this week heaved themselves up out of the straw.

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I tell you I bought extra cloves last july so I'd have some nice garlic to harvest this year. I never took the time to plant it! [​IMG] How long would have it taken me, really?!? Sheesh. I'll have to get on the ball this year and get some planted. That's awesome heartsizedfarm!

7. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually plant in the fall & harvest in June. I generally get a pretty good harvest, planting whatever variety the supermarkets generally offer. Is it worth seeking out the others? I know there are a lot out there, just never bothered trying them. I didn't get any in this past fall though. [​IMG]

8. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I usually plant a pretty big garden every year. This year I will be doing that along with sunflowers and pumpkins for my chickens, and an herb garden. So excited to get started!

9. RustedOak

RustedOak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Waco, Texas
    [​IMG]

This is probably laughable to most of you but I'm a complete newbie to anything gardening, so I'm fairly stoked about this! lol

10. Loc20chick

Loc20chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    Eastern Shore MD

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by