BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. heartsizedfarm

heartsizedfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Basically yes she says if you're trimming green wood it should be done late winter or early spring but you can trim deadwood any time. Trim back to a bud that is going to send out a new shoot in the direction you want that branch to grow. Usually out and up!

2. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Thank you. I thought that might be the answer. Better go find a ladder now.....

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Potatoes popping up! Pumpkins are doing well. :)

4. heartsizedfarm

Your garden is coming on fast! I'm still waiting to harvest a bit of lettuce.

5. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    So busy that we didn't/don't have time to fix garden fence to rabbit-proof it or amend our extremely silty/sandy New Mexican soil which devours compost...it's like rototilling into a black hole. Wanting something to show as a crop this year (other than lawn rabbits) we opted to do some container gardening. Yesterday I potted for the patio six Roma tomatoes, four assorted chile peppers and some basil. Next year we'll utilize the three 4' x 45' beds in the veggie compound, but it won't be this year. We'll have a nice crop of apples and pears from the mature trees, though. Our cider orchard is growing...some of the trees have nearly doubled in size...which is pretty easy to do considering my orchard was a handful of twigs with roots in Spring.

Yesterday we had a hecka wind come through. It went from 0 mph to 50 in an instant and crazy swirly. I looked down valley and saw that a giant dust column had passed over us and later there were reports far east of us of tornado sightings. Well, the weather certainly hasn't been vanilla here. No damage, just intensity.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Sep 27, 2012
    Our lettuce didn't even pop up this year. :(

7. heartsizedfarm

I'm considering going all perennial next year: asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries, apples, herbs, garlic, can you live on that?

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It's a nice addition to the diet, but even a diversified veggie garden won't provide enough to meet the average family's needs.

Mr. MK, i just planted lettuce again. the first spring planting didn't come up, but i have a bounty from my fall sowing.

I planted corn on saturday, and it's coming out of the ground today. That's what i call strong sprouting!!! My zucchini and cukes are up, pole beans making nice growth. I need to get out there and plant the remaining open space.

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Sep 27, 2012

:thumbsup

10. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey gardening people!
    I am not a hard- core gardener but I planted a lot of veggies in my little garden this year! I currently have two tomato plants, a cucumber plant, cilantro, spinach, kale, and a bunch of lettuce.
    I can't wait for my veggies to be ready to eat. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by