BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Until recently I lived in Las Vegas (NV) and I feel your pain! Our state color is dried sage unless it's summer, then it's dusty dried sage. Growing stuff is a 50/50 proposition there. You plant something in the ground (if you haven't got caliche) and wish it luck. Really stifles the gardener's soul.

And that's why I moved! I wanted to garden....and also the CC&R's got all fussy about raising chickens. Now I've got an orchard and proper veggie area, but due to our late start this year (we finally moved in Memorial Day) and a hole-y fence it looks like our first crop will be cottontails.

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

They make a lovely stew.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  3. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    ...and a lovely challenge on how to harvest without shooting them! (Township laws are no firearm discharging allowed)

Last eve I counted 10 in the back orchard area....and, if they're like rats, that means there's that many more you cannot see!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  4. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Bows, traps and knives come in handy at that point.

5. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    My neighbors would probably freak if I went all Hunger Games on the rabbits. Husband is thinking perhaps a slingshot, but I don't know if he's thinking about dinner.

6. ChickenPapaCT

ChickenPapaCT Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2014
    Southern CT
    For those of you in arid states like Nevada and Arizona (Arid-zone-a [​IMG] LOL loved that), have you tried olla pots? I live in CT, and we get plenty of water, so I don't use them, but I hear they are great.

Check out this link: http://www.permaculture.co.uk/videos/how-guide-olla-pots-–-effective-traditional-irrigation-system

I hear you can make olla pots by putting regular unglazed clay pots (like the ones in your local garden center or big-box store) together with the clay dish that they usually go on top of using Silicone Caulk ( http://aiminglow.com/2012/02/how-to-make-a-homemade-olla/ ).

Good luck - I hope these work for you. [​IMG] Please let me know if you try them - I am really curious.
    PapaChickenCT

7. Hershy

Hershy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    Salem, OR
    We live in Oregon now, moved to Colorado Springs 7 years ago and transferred back to OR as soon as we could. It was way too dry and brown. Finally got a couple acres, chickens and garden started but nobody's producing yet. (Well, some lettuce...)
    It 's so hard to be patient! :rolleyes: but encouraging to see pics of others success.

8. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Very nice garden area I would love to have morning coffee there.

9. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

This morning it was +8C and raining, so no [​IMG]

But whenever mother nature is kind, we try to have breakfast out on the deck (maybe 30-40 mornings per year). This morning the table was mainly used as rain cover by the chickens.

[​IMG]

The broken fence part is just a figment of your imagination.

10. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    That is a nice deck to have breakfast on you can still enjoy the view. Nice looking chickens. Ok I don't see the broken fence. We have alot of torn down fence wire in the pasture a stubborn bull does not want the pasture divided. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by