BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Gardening season in full force here in Minnesota. It's busy because we all till plant weed out at the same time. The season is short! But DH came home with 7 apple trees. Zestars harelreds and honey crisp. I was unable to get keepsake in the order so maybe next year. Veggie garden got planted in. Sunflowers planted in the backside and sides to attract pollinators, then rows of an heirloom red sweet corn, some normal sweet corn, zucchini, peas, beans, beets, cucumber, carrots, beefeater tomatoes and some heirloom tomatoes on the deck in pots. I like my different colored tomates. I've had a bunny back for a visit taking the green bean first leaves past the codelydons. I have fencing. But he's Houdini -like in his efforts. Have the deer/rabbit repellent on now that smells like pee or rotten eggs whatever it is.

My next project is serious perennial seperation in the perennial garden. It hardly bloomed last year and it won't this year. Need it pulled apart, thinned and some good growth restarted for a beautiful garden next year. Lol that's what I said last year! Did I already say this season is too short?!
  3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    White potatoes went in.

Son's potted potato is already 6 inches high!

Fruit trees are back ordered until October.

Anyone know of a company still shipping??
  4. NEChickenNoob

NEChickenNoob Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2014
    SE Connecticut
    May I suggest a heavy metal solution to your rabbit problem? If not, build a rabbit gum and catch him. Rabbit tastes great! (google directions)
  5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    My son is on the heavy metal detail.
    1 person likes this.
  6. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Flock Master

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    I got my Cherry bushes planted yesterday they came in on Sat. I soaked them overnight in rooting hormone and got them in. Lettuce is doing great, tomato plants are loaded cucumbers are going crazy squash is going wild. The cantaloupe and watermelon plants are all in bloom. Today my raspberry seeds will be in along with some cumquat cuttings I am getting in today. Love the growing season!
  7. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

We finally moved to a house with a yard in the fall, so this is our first year of gardening. The soil is pretty acidic with loads of pine trees surrounding us though, so we mostly try to do raised beds and similar solutions. Here are some pictures of what we've got going.

On the left, salads and spinach in one box, onions in the other. The higher boxes have carrots and parsnip in one, and what's supposed to be broccoli and cauliflower in the other. On the right are our potato towers.

On the left, 3 bags of beans and one with sweet peas. On the right, Jerusalem artichokes.

Here's some red currant to the right, the bigger bush in the middle is a white currant, both moved here in fall, and the small one to the left is a gooseberry bush we planted this spring.

In the front, some wild raspberries we spread around a bit. They seem to be pleased with the move. Behind them is a lonely small rhubarb that I'm not too hopeful about. This spot would need some serious weeding, but I'm a bit lazy. Maybe I'll just see how it turns out.
  8. papaclark

papaclark Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2014
    jackass flats, arizona
    I love the pics of other lawns and gardens.. It makes me envious, however, because I live in Arizona (Arid-zone-a) where very little is green. Brown is our "state-color". Hot, Dry, low humidity. An abundance of sunshine, little or no precipitation. Lousy, treated municipal water. But, we still try.
  9. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Water we've got. Sunlight is a precious commodity though. We have a pretty short growth period, luckily the days are long during that time, but most part of the year it's too cold and dark to grow anything. Comparing Evian to Helsinki tap water in laboratory testing, Evian had a lot more contaminants in it, so in that way we're lucky.
  10. LadyBroody

LadyBroody Chillin' With My Peeps

I am excited to start gardening again after quite a long time...I plan on making a chicken garden, with all the yummy things chickens adore!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by