BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    We rented in town for few months and found an air gun shooting pellets from the cover of our garage a solution to vermin. We are pretty sure shots too, tho.[​IMG]

2. NEChickenNoob

NEChickenNoob Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2014
    SE Connecticut
    Get a rabbit gum and trap em.
    Quote:

3. ChickenPapaCT

ChickenPapaCT Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2014
    Southern CT
    Get a have-a-hart trap and re-locate them. Problem solved. [​IMG]

Honestly, I had a rabbit living in my garden all of last year and it hardly ate a thing. He (or she) even bounced off my foot once in a mad-scramble to get away while I was watering the tomatoes, which scared me a bit, but when I realized what happend I had a good laugh! I suspect it ate some of my basil, but it was not a big deal as I had a second batch growing on the deck anyway....

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Our one rabbit visiting for a little less than week cost me my whole bean crop, all the peas and 1/2 of the beets. and most of my kahlorabi too. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Wetched wotten wabbits......

6. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    I will say we've been using Rabbit Scram with a fair amount of success. It's a powder made up of garlic, pepper and (I believe) ground up rabbits. When sprinkled and wetted down it supposedly smells like Death to rabbits and they stay away.... Doesn't stink to we peoples.

7. papaclark

papaclark Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2014
    jackass flats, arizona
    We have cottontails, roadrunners, quail, occasionally javelina and coyotes, but nothing (so far) that messes with my garden except WILDBIRDS. I have to get some netting or something...They eat my beet tops as fast as they sprout. So I started them in a greenhouse and replanted them after they were a couple inches tall...what a delicacy. Three times I've started beets doesn't look like I'm going to get any unless I cover them.

8. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Our berry bushes have been raided by birds, so today's project was putting in some netting to protect them. Our salads and cabbages are being raided by our chickens, so those needed some protection too. Here's what we got done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The nets over the bush really are an eyesore, but the boxes got sort of a cool hangar look to them with our addition.

9. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Good luck with keeping the birds out.
    I may try some netting over our fruit trees next year to keep the birds and squirrel's out.

10. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

We don't have a problem with squirrels here, I actually can't remember the last time I've seen one. If nothing else, the birds at least can't fly through the net, so maybe it will cut down on their poaching. The neighbors don't have any nets on their bushes, so hopefully the birds will move on to them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by