BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I haven't seen any in a few years. As a kid I remember seeing loads of them, but I think the population has decreased a bit.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    My cats keep them on high alert. and i think the chickens also do the same.

4. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Our dogs would probably keep them away as well. I did actually talk about this with my mother a few weeks back, and she said she's seen them every once in a while, so it might be that there just aren't any squirrels close to where we live.

5. chickadoodles

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Our dogs do chase them if they see them, but the squirrels sneak around while the dogs nap. [​IMG]

6. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey all you gardeners, have any idea what type of worm/caterpillar this is? He did a number in my poor lettuce while I was on vacation.
    [​IMG]

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I've had similar caterpillars attack my lettuce. doesn't much matter. You can either treat your lettuce... not an attractive solution, b/c you'll eating the very leaves you sprinkle or spray your plants with. Unless, of course you find an organic treatment. How badly is the lettuce infested. Can you hand pick?

Just an other thought: It's obviously a caterpillar, from an egg laid by a moth or butterfly. You can prevent further infestation by planting your next crop under some sort of mesh or even a sheer curtain.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  8. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I've seen these caterpillars eating my nasturtiums as well. Will the chickens eat these guys any body know?

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Sorry I dont have an answer for the catapiller issue-- going organic would always be best. Just takes a little research on line to find reasonable solutions.

THe kids were excited to share that the summer squash plants are up already. THey then ran to the first plot that we planted days before-- nothing is up.

I took a look myself-- more seeds have sprouted over the last few days in the newest area ( summer squashes) and the winter squashes nada. THe only explaination I have is that the winter squash were planted directly into the native soil, and the summer squash wer planted on top of a bed of hot horse manure.

ANyone else have a similar experience??

10. chickadoodles

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    I just went to the fabric store and got some cheap netting to use. Since the butterflies laid their larva in my lettuce last year and ate it all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by