BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    vehve-- very cute set up witht he matching pots.

Today is mostly prepping for a big rain storm racing intonight . . .

Got peas in -- thought they were beans. Will see how they fair. MIght need to over plant with beans. Perhaps that will shade the peas enough on the 5 foot woven fence. ( live and learn, lol)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I've got three trash bags with beans growing in them and one with peas. The bad thing is, that we placed the peas closest to the opening in the fence, so the chickens have been pillaging the leaves pretty heavily from it. Don't know if it's going to make it.

The pots were a good find, I had to buy them and the better half has a problem with touching terracotta surfaces, so had to find something different. Everything seemed to cost at least 10 euros a pop, but the smaller buckets I found for 3€, while the medium was 4€ and the large size 6€. And they don't seem to oxidize at all, so we'll get many years of use out of them.

3. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    I've got hollyhocks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They came up in a surprising array of colors this year. The patch on the other side of the yard is white, yellow and peach.
    Anyway, they're all going to seed, so I have lots if anybody wants any. PM me an address and I'll pop some in the mail. I'm planning on taking down a few of them that are spent and seeing if I can get a second bloom from them. (They really grew like weeds in my yard this year....and lots of volunteers)

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Very pretty.

5. ChickenPapaCT

ChickenPapaCT Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2014
    Southern CT
    Beautiful! I wish I had some room for some... my gardens are all overflowing as it is.
    I think my eyes are bigger than my garden! [​IMG]

6. Outdoorkls

Outdoorkls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    Ha Ha! Yes, that is a problem when you love gardening... sometimes you just want more than you can fit.

7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I love holly hocks. The first time I saw them my grandpa planted them in a small vegetable patch. I was so impressed with the height and the beautiful colored flowers. They remind me so of him. I just wish they lasted longer. One thing I've learned is that I prefer the double holly hocks. Gorgeous colors you've selected there though. Pretty variety!

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    OMG how gorgeous!! PMing you.

10. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

They are galvanized, but with the cheap price I thought it might be a pretty thin layer. Yeah, chooks are thriving on destroyed garden plant leaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by