BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I'd cook the chicken whole in broth (with maybe some white wine) and the celery, tomatoes and bell pepper in it (and thyme, salt and pepper). The potatoes I'd cut in half, and roast in the oven together with the sliced onion, coated with a splash of cooking oil and salt. The bell pepper might actually be better in this too. To me, squash is more familiar as a racket sport, so I don't know what to do with it. Maybe dessert? Some sort of pie, with a butter-sugar-flour-oatmeal-cardamom crust served with vanilla ice cream or custard. The flour (or at least part of it) can be switched to ground almond.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

The salt really helps, sprinkle a hefty amount on top and wipe it off after it's properly wet (10-20 minutes). And you have to cook it in the oven or grill until it's really soft, almost falling apart. It tastes horrible as long as it still has that wooden texture. Deep frying also makes it tasty.

1 person likes this.
  3. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I apologize for turning this thread into another segment of "Cooking with Felix". But it's a passion of mine (along with my compost nowadays)

4. KentuckyMom

KentuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2013
    Foster, Kentucky
    This is actually the perfect thread for that because we all like to try new ways of cooking with the food we grow. And your recipes may encourage someone to try something they once disliked because it was unappetizing cooked differently.
    My Mom cooked eggplant with raisins- soft and "yucky". As an adult I've had it in Eggplant Parmesan-DELICIOUS!

5. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama

6. Hershy

Hershy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    Salem, OR

Cooking and gardening go well together, as do gardening and composting and keeping chickens.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I have resigned myself to the fact that when it comes to zuchini, i am the only one who truly enjoys it. Not a problem.... I will enjoy it all by myself. Fried on the stove, grilled, in sauces, any way i can get it. Same goes for chili, and a multitude of other delights. The only down side is the fact that I have to have options available for the gastronomically challenged members of my family. I often panic as gardening season gets under way, fearful that there won't be enough zucchini in 3 hills for me.

8. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

No problem, hope it turns out well :)

9. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Zucchini/Grill idea:

Wrap sliced zucchini, sweet onion like a Vidalia, sliced up, Sweet bell peps, mushrooms--(any veggie medley combo will do) in tin foil with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of beef bullion. Put it on the grill ahead of your meat. When it starts steamin and sizzling...put the meat on. Pull everything off the grill and you have your meat and veggies--easy clean up--favorite summertime meal. Nummo!

10. Loc20chick

Loc20chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    Eastern Shore MD
    I love Zuccini too and my Hubby does too, I sautee them with spices and salt and they are delish. Amazingly this year mine are doing well I should have planted more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by