BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Hershy

Hershy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    Salem, OR
    Made fried zucchini last night with dinner, one of my favorite things as a kid. Unfortunately my family doesn't share my enthusiasm, so I got to have leftovers for a snack today too!
    Looking forward to more garden treats soon!

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Try eggplant instead. It's delicious, you can either grill it halved (salt it for ten minutes and wipe it before, grill with indirect heat until soft), or then you can slice it, fry the slices in olive oil, and layer it in a pan with tomato slices, basil, mozzarella and some salt and pepper and then bake it in the oven for about half an hour.

3. Hershy

May 26, 2014
    Salem, OR
    I haven't had eggplant since I was a kid. That recipe sounds good enough to try. Probably something else I'll be the only one eating. It would have been nice if the kids inherited my food tastes, rather than hubby's. Have to say its a lot better than it used to be though.

4. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Oh, and those where supposed to be two different recipes. Just grill the eggplant, halved lengthwise (and do the salting, it draws out excess moisture). Goes great with meat and fish dishes. And you can make a nice potato salad to go with it. Here's my recipe:

1kg of new potatoes steamed and cubed (you can use leftovers)
    2 scallions chopped
    2 dl creme fraiche
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    a splash of white or apple wine vinegar (balsamico will do too)
    1 tbsp sugar
    a splash of lemon or lime juice
    salt
    pepper
    (capers)

mix everything together, and let sit for an hour or even overnight. You can use either hot or cold potatoes.

5. Wasson6Pack

Wasson6Pack Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Lewisburg, TN

Recipes! I'm not a huge zucchini fan, but I'd like to be more

6. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama

7. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I love cooking, just tell me what you've got in the fridge and I'll think of something for you.

8. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Thanks vehve
    A whole chicken, new potatoes, onion, celery, bell pepper, tomatoes and some squash.

9. Hershy

May 26, 2014
    Salem, OR

I just cut up zucchini into wedges (you can cut off the seeds or not - I don't). Coat with flour - I season with salt, garlic, paprika, white pepper and onion powder... You can do what you like, or just plain flour. Then they go in an egg wash. Then coat with finely crushed crackers- I use saltines. Fry until browned on all sides.
    I dip in ranch.

10. Hershy

May 26, 2014
    Salem, OR

That also sounds good, I have some potatoes in the garden with the tops dying off, which I understand means they might be ready :thumbsup so I might have to try that too.

When I was a kid, Mom made eggplant, but didn't know about salting, so it was mushy and not appetizing. Maybe lots better if done right.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by