Do you garden?

• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
I love Zuccini too and my Hubby does too, I sautee them with spices and salt and they are delish. Amazingly this year mine are doing well I should have planted more.
When making woks, I often marinate them (zucchinis) together with whatever meat I'm using in soy sauce and sweet chili sauce, and the give everything a quick stir fry (red peppers, carrots, onions and sweet peas are nice veggies for woks in my opinion).

When making woks, I often marinate them (zucchinis) together with whatever meat I'm using in soy sauce and sweet chili sauce, and the give everything a quick stir fry (red peppers, carrots, onions and sweet peas are nice veggies for woks in my opinion).

i'll try the marinade too. thanks

No problem, I have a dream that everyone would learn to cook delicious home cooked meals, and I try to further this vision in every way possible.
I second that one! My dream is to take square foot gardening into the many housing developments around here. I envision a salad in every yard! I was once in a waiting room, and talking with someone about multi cropping for salad greens, onions and the like. A lady joined the conversation, and was asking about planting lettuce. She said, "I've never planted anything before. I wouldn't know how to." How sad is that???

Hey y'all! I'm fairly new to gardening. This is only my third season and it's by far my best. This year we are actually able to enjoy the harvest! I've been able to make pickles from our cukes. (I'm also just learning canning too) We've gotten a couple of Arkansas Traveler tomatoes, eggplant, summer squash, and I even have baby watermelons! :).

I was inspired to garden after watching a show on the food network where they made a meal from foods that were expired or considered too irregular to be sold in stores. I saw piles and piles of food being wasted. And food is expensive. So I started out with a tiny horrible garden that produced NOTHING. The next year we got plants, blooms, and not much else other than green beans. This year we have been blessed!

I hope to keep learning and pass this information on to my sons. You never know when this might be a skill they need to have for survival.

I second that one!  My dream is to take square foot gardening into the many housing developments around here.  I envision a salad in every yard!   I was once in a waiting room, and talking with someone about multi cropping for salad greens, onions and the like.  A lady joined the conversation, and was asking about planting lettuce.  She said, "I've never planted anything before.  I wouldn't know how to."  How sad is that??? 

Sad, but I understand how intimidating unknown things are. Some of us catch on so quickly, and others struggle. It's so nice that places like this exist with such good, experienced resources who are willing to share knowledge!!

Hey y'all! I'm fairly new to gardening. This is only my third season and it's by far my best. This year we are actually able to enjoy the harvest! I've been able to make pickles from our cukes. (I'm also just learning canning too) We've gotten a couple of Arkansas Traveler tomatoes, eggplant, summer squash, and I even have baby watermelons! :).

I was inspired to garden after watching a show on the food network where they made a meal from foods that were expired or considered too irregular to be sold in stores. I saw piles and piles of food being wasted. And food is expensive. So I started out with a tiny horrible garden that produced NOTHING. The next year we got plants, blooms, and not much else other than green beans. This year we have been blessed!

I hope to keep learning and pass this information on to my sons. You never know when this might be a skill they need to have for survival.

You are amazing in sticking with it. Some people give up so quickly. I think you are truly remarkable for hanging in there!!

I second that one! My dream is to take square foot gardening into the many housing developments around here. I envision a salad in every yard! I was once in a waiting room, and talking with someone about multi cropping for salad greens, onions and the like. A lady joined the conversation, and was asking about planting lettuce. She said, "I've never planted anything before. I wouldn't know how to." How sad is that???
"Dig, dump, water". Pretty straightforward. But it's not for everyone, and people are often afraid of things they haven't done before. Multicropping is something I might try next year, any thoughts on growing onions, salads, carrots and parsnips together?

It might work, but parsnips are a long season crop, however, you'd be pulling out the onions and greens, followed by the carrots. Then you could leave the parsnips. Here in the states, we let them winter over, and they are super sweet in the spring. I'd suggest that you try a small plot this way, and see what works for you. I've always planted onion sets with lettuce with excellent results. You might want to check out some sites regarding companion planting. Some crops benefit each other, while others have a negative impact on each other. Too exhaustive a list for me to go into it here. Onion sets, lettuce, carrots, spinach, and radish are a great combination. And it looks so pretty while it's growing with the multiple textures and colors. If you do a mixed planting, be sure to not plant so thickly, and start harvesting at the "baby" stage b/c everything grows so fast.

An other great mixed crop is potatoes and corn. You could plant a row of potatoes between every 2 rows of corn, then leave a path, then do a repeat. Just be sure to get those potatoes mulched deeply. Corn will be happy with mulch as well. Tomatoes surrounded by lettuce. Cukes with fern leaf dill. Cabbage, tomatoes, or broccoli in the asparagus patch. The options are endless. If you can have your garden covered with growing green stuff and a heavy mulch where you are not growing stuff, the weeds are minimal. Weeds are opportunistic, taking root where ever there is bare soil. If the soil is never bare, what's that poor weed seed to do???

BTW, my first garden was a 4' x 4' plot in such compacted soil/gravel that i could only dig down 4". I did not harvest ANYTHING that would be considered edible!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom