BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about bushgrown blueberries. I've eaten them maybe a handful of times. Wild one's however, are my favorite berry.

2. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama

3. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    We're starting our monsoon season, which just means that there's a chance of occasional rain. However, the skies get nice and dark each day with promise, although most of the time the rain falls on other parts of the valley.
    Anyway, the apple crop is holding in there and some are starting to flush with color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will be fun to see how much the large trees produce this year. DH is looking forward to some fresh cider.

4. ducksanddoxies

ducksanddoxies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2014
    Arkansas
    Our apples don't look that good. They are much smaller. What do you do to get them looking that good?

5. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Well, golly... Thanks for the compliment!

Last year we didn't have a crop due to a late frost, so I think the trees saved all that fruit-producing energy for this year.

I do use Miracle-Grow Fruit Tree stakes as per their directions of one every 6' around the drip line.

My orchard doubles as a lawn, so it gets watered regularly.

These apples are on very large trees. The trunks are about a foot in diameter. Pity poor me having to harvest the tippy top.

The previous owners didn't know much about apple trees, so they grew a horrible mess (should've been pruned correctly early) and, from what I can gather, they didn't do much to care for the trees, so they're probably responding to a little extra TLC.

I just about cried when I saw pictures of the property before I bought it.... They had two HUGE peach trees that, alas, succumbed to fruit weight and split and had to be removed at ground level. THAT is a crime against plants, but there's no negligence jail for fruit trees that I know of. The neighbors have commented they're glad they have someone here who knows what they're doing....but, honestly, most of it is just common sense.

6. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    I should also mention that the orchard lawn doubles as forage for the neighbor's horses.... They love the lawn clippings! Someday when the cider saplings are big enough I will fence the lawn and run some sheep or a cow or something. We've got a drought in NM, so we're pretty conscientious about water usage. I like that my lawn is not being wasteful inasmuch as it supports the trees AND feeds critters.

7. ducksanddoxies

ducksanddoxies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2014
    Arkansas
    We haven't done much with our trees either, but I would like too, now that I'm learning. I have a lot at my fingertips already. We have two huge fig bushes that always put of plenty of figs. Cannot wait for them to ripen! We haven't don't much with them either. I can't imagine how many figs we'd have if I learned this stuff!

8. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

You should cut the trees down a bit in fall to make picking easier, and grow a tastier crop.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I think they say to never remove more than a third of a tree in any one pruning. But, I'm going on old muddled thoughts rolling around in the dusty corners of my cranium.

10. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    Wonderful area..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by