BYC KNITTING CLUB

Pics
We're all knitting like mad on Christmas projects.

So far I've made:
1. mittens for mom
2. socks for Dad
3. 1 fingerless glove for brother

knit purl knit purl knit purl knit purl knit purl knit purl knit purl knit purl knit purl knit purl knit purl knit purl

we're all busy knitting christmas gifts LOL
ep.gif

I just finished a pink mohair hat for eldest daughter and am now on a neck warmer/face warmer in brown for her hubby (sil). Have one more headband in camoflage for their three nephews. Will make face/neck warmers to go w/their camo headbands. Should make a pink mohair neck/face warmer for dd, too, to match her hat or a scarf. Will make "something" (scarf & hat?) for youngest dd, with this yarn I made w/beads and eyelash and merino wool:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=106647

I love knitting as much as I love chickens!
love.gif
I just finished knitting purple leg warmers for myself, and now I am making christmas hats for the neighbors, and the usual million scarves are to be made for the season!!

Last edited:
4th scarf nearly done, only 7 more to go... or is it 8? *starts knitting a little more quickly* Would post pictures of the end results, but I can't find my charger for the camera battery. Trying to work more hours so I can afford my new 'hobby'.

Alright, this is going to sound a little odd. We have Siamese cats with hair JUST like rabbit fur, it is so soft. They shed like crazy, and I have to vaccum twice a day. The other day I was on Etsy and found a woman that makes angora yarn humainley just by brushing her pet rabbits. So I figuire, I can do the same thing. I just need to figure out how to spin yarn. I know I will have to mix it with wool because they are not long haired cats. Is it easy? Expensive? Am I the only person in the world that wants to make yarn out of their cats fur???
hmm.png
Hey, angora is expensive.

I spun yarn once with my Pomeranian's fur blended in. There are 2 methods for spinning. You can start with an inexpensive spindle method. I quickly moved to the wheel because I have no patience for slow projects. You need to get a base for your yarn ( ie. wool). That wool needs to be brushed/carded into roving. You can buy roving already done on ebay. That roving is what is spun into yarn. You would need to card/brush the cat hair into the roving before you spin. Check out a how to video. I'm sure you can find one on youtube. Once the yarn is spun, you have to twist two strands together. That yarn has to be washed and hung to dry (sets the twist in the yarn so it hangs straight and doesn't unravel). While it dries it has to be weighted down. Spinning is a lengthy process. I gave it up because I couldn't find enough time to spin and knit. I chose to knit.

I tried to learn to spin, not so hot results. I figure that it will be something I save for later in life
smile.png
I would rather knit than be frustrated at this point
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom