BYC KNITTING CLUB

Pics
Can I join?
I knit..........a little
big_smile.png

I half understand half kits ect............
I need knit-education!

I love knitting too! My 17 year old son just got interested in it too! He knitting a dish cloth, then wants to move on to a beanie for snowboarding. Im re-doing a sweater:/
hmm.png
because I had the gauge all wrong. I've knitted a couple of purses which I felted afterwards. LOVED doing those! This is a great thread! BEAUTIFUL projects you've all done!

We welcome all who are interested and offer all kinds of advice andhappy to help anyone with a knitting problem. Someone is bound to have an answer.
frow.gif

Welcome all! Glad I'm not the only knitting newbie! Gardenmom, I think it's great that your son enjoys knitting! DBF watches me intently and I know he'd like to try but can't get past the "man stigma"
smack.gif

I've knitted two beanies for my DS from a super-simple pattern I found. If you are interested, I'd be happy to share it.

Last edited:
Quote:
frow.gif
frow.gif

Tell him that in the past a lot of men knitted, especially sailors on long voyages. This was in the days of sails & they had to have things to occupy themselves while the boat was in the 'doldrums'& couldn't make way!
I know that a lot of British army officers loved to do embroidery --" petit point" to be exact. I was given this piece of information by a friend who worked in the shop belonging to the Royal School of Needlework, here in the UK. They used to bring in their canvases to have them 'blocked' for use on chair seats. She said that one guy was recovering a set of 10 dining chairs. Now that is a lot of work.....!!
lol.png

Hattie

Last edited:
Thanks Hattie, What an interesting piece of history. It's like the history of candlewicking and the ingenuity women used when they couldn't get the regular threads during the British blockade and wanted to make bed canopies bed canopies. I crocheted a bed canopy for my step mom over 30 years ago using a pattern that had been handed down from colonial times. I have the canopy now since my stepmom is in a nursing home. Would you like to see a photo of it? I can take one and post it.

Many NFL were taught to knit also for the eye hand coordination.

And in fact, if I am correct, men invented knitting and for many years women were not taught to knit because they thought it would be too complicated for them. HA!

Thanks - I'll tell him! I think Rosie Greer used to knit, if I remember correctly! (Football player) Baustin, please do post a pic!!!! I was in the yarn aisle a few weeks ago. There was a middle-aged couple with their daughter (probably 9-10). The DD was looking at the yarn and a sock book and said "come on dad, you KNOW you want to make socks!" He had a very embarassed look on his face but I thought it was cute!
lau.gif

Quote:
I'd love to see your pattern. The one we have will have to sewn up the back. I'd like one thats knitted in the round but isnt too difficult.

Back
Top Bottom