BYC KNITTING CLUB

I had to move my LYS to my home late last spring. The person I was leasing from walked away from her lease on the building.
I have made lemonade and have a shop set up in the mudroom attached to my house and we have our weekly sit n knit sessions in my home. I have everything listed online and it is working great.

Though when our driveway ices, we will move the sit n knit to the library.

What is the fastest way to knit a baby blanket?
smile.png

Yes, it will work beautifully. I have a ton of it in my stash for baby quilts, plush toys, and things like that. Its a great yarn. You could edge it in garter, or seed stitch, whatever you like.
That yarn is lovely to work with and holds up well to all sorts of stitches & styles.

Quote:
If you can get yourself to a local yarn shop that also sells spinning wheels or gives classes - it would be fantasitc for you to try them before buying one. I went to two classes, which were tons of fun, and tried every wheel she had in the place. I decided that one treadle was better for me - and I loved the feel of my Louet S17 more than any of the other brands or types she had. It just so happens that the one I liked the best to spin on was also very inexpensive compared to most of the other wheels.

If there isn't a shop near you, search for spinning guilds. The people that attend meetings may let you try their wheels before purchasing one.
smile.png
OH- PS...there's a long spinning thread here in the hobbies section if you want to read more!

Can anyone help me with this? I was taught to knit years ago, but taught incorrectly. I always did my knit stitch into the back of the stitch. I knit very quickly in sort of a continental type of way. I realized that I should finally learn to change the way I was knitting, so I youtubed a ton of videos and practiced the English version. My English version looks much nicer, but it takes too long, so I've gone back to continental, but I'm knitting into the front of the stitch (correctly) instead of the back.

I must still be doing something wrong, though... because all of my stockinette stitch has one side much more pronounced than the other. I've been making these fingerless gloves and I've already given a pair away. I'm on my second. The pattern is basically a sort of rib. On the section of the k3, you can see how my stockinette looks. While it doesn't look bad....it doesn't look the way it's supposed to. When I used to knit into the back of the stitch, this same problem happened. I took one photo with flash and one without so you could get a better look:

82602_knit_001.jpg

82602_kn.jpg

I wonder if when I'm bringing the yarn over the needle to do a K, if I'm doing it the wrong way? I carry it from the back to the front. I should look into that. I just wish I had learned the correct way. It's much more difficult to teach yourself to stop doing something you already do than to do it correctly from the start!

Any tips would be appreciated!
smile.png

Continental knitting is pretty straight forward. You just pick up the yarn with the tip of the needle and pull it through the loop.

I suspect it has to do with when you're switching to the front for the purling. It's the purling that most people have more trouble with. Try watching the second video of ribbing and see if that helps you.

Try this site for help. It has videos with the different styles. http://www.knittinghelp.com/

I
found a video for continental ribbing you can watch at that site. I think this should help a lot. http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/ribbing-continental

Itsy, you're twisting you knit stitches.

I understand what you are doing when you say you are knitting into the back of the stitch. It is all in the way you are wrapping the stitch when you're purling (you're purling from the front of the stitch, aren't you?)

No need to change how you are knitting/purling. It is totally an acceptable manner of knitting and actually has a name!! "Combined Continental" You can see the video on knittinghelp.com

It is how my Grammy taught me to knit (actually purl) and it works wonderful for me. I always know what kind of stitch I did on the previous row based on the way the stitch is situated on the needle.

I was just thinking... is it still called stockinette stitch if each one of those rows is K? This pattern is on dpns, and the front of the work is always showing. To make the gloves, it's simply K3, P1, K3 (repeat for a row) and the next row is all K, and then repeat from the start. So each one of those ribbed areas is me just knitting.

I don't knit into the back of the stitch anymore and I'm still getting the heavy sides. That photo shows what it looks like when I "knit correctly." Even if the way I knit has a name - I don't necessarily want it to look like that.

Back
Top Bottom