BYC KNITTING CLUB

I love this cowl pattern! big_smile

Me, too! Thanks for the tip. That went straight to the desktop for weekend knitting.
I was doing well with my holiday knitting, but Thanksgiving & work threw a wrench in my productivity. Back on the horse today.​

I used to take longer with knitting, but crocheted a hat last night and it took just as long to crochet it as it would have knitting it. ... probably because I've been doing a lot more knitting than crocheting lately and can knit without looking but have to look at where to put each stitch for crochet.

The downside of crochet is it takes more yarn than knitting.

Speed might come with time but it sure does improve with better needles. I knit english since continentail means no tension for me. I have very small fingurs with larger palms. I can do both but english is easier and much faster for me. I know I am strange
tongue.png
But getting better needles with a sharper point, in this case bamboo. Made a world of speed differance. Cheap metal needles are just too blunt for me to knit fast with, and that is doing knit stitch.

How many work with 4" needles and like them better than 5"? I just bought 5 and I am wondering if 4 would make a differance to me with my small fingures.

How many work with 4" needles and like them better than 5"? I just bought 5 and I am wondering if 4 would make a differance to me with my small fingures.

I like the shorter needles much better when I can get away with it. (Which is most of the time.)

I use bamboo or wood, unless I am using circular needles. Then I like the addi turbos.
I have had to work on loosening my death grip to speed up. It has helped, and I am A LOT faster. I also knit English, my whole family does, but I want to learn Continental so I can do Intarsia. After my next sweater...
So, after Christmas.​

I got Mail.
big_smile.png
Boy does Kaleidoscope Yarns ship fast and it was free ship too.

Anywy I got in my Hiyahiya bamboo set interchangeables. They are not as sharp as my Chiaogoo, which is disappointing. But I sure I can work with them. The 5size lenght is actually smaller lenght than my Chiaogoo. I have a 7 chiaogoo so I compared the 7 in the hiyahiya. I guess the chiaogoo is also 7"long as well as size 7. This will be interesting too see how I work with them.

Quote:
Boy, are we opposites!! I can knit both ways, but have no tension when knitting English. Bamboo slows me down and I'm a speed demon with aluminum. Having a blunt end vs a pointier one makes no difference to me since my right needle is at a right angle to my left needle and I just scoop the stitch & wrap all in the same motion.

For DPNs, I prefer 6"-7" length. The shorter ones poke me in the palm of my hand! My most frequent needle sizes are 000-1 for socks, 3-7 for everything else.

Quote:
Boy, are we opposites!! I can knit both ways, but have no tension when knitting English. Bamboo slows me down and I'm a speed demon with aluminum. Having a blunt end vs a pointier one makes no difference to me since my right needle is at a right angle to my left needle and I just scoop the stitch & wrap all in the same motion.

For DPNs, I prefer 6"-7" length. The shorter ones poke me in the palm of my hand! My most frequent needle sizes are 000-1 for socks, 3-7 for everything else.

Cheap metal needles like Susan Bates, that you can get in any store that carries yarn walmart, hobby lobby ect. These were what I was refering too. I found I split alot of my yarn with them, which I do not do with the bamboo needles. Now I can not say if I would with hiyahiyas or chiaogoos metals for I have not bought them yet. I am sure I will not as the tips will not be as blunt and metal will be better quality than the SB I have now. From what I read some have a metal preferance. Which is fine since there are more than one type of metal out there in needles. Some like the nickel from what I have read, carry an odor for some people. Others have allergies to some metals. Again it is all about what works for a person that way. BUT I still stand by better quality needles will make a differance in your knitting.

P.S. Not grump or nit picking just talking.
smile.png

I know your not a grump or nit-picking
smile.png
What kind of world would it be if we all did the same thing?

I have a lot of Susan Bates & Boyer needles & hooks and they work fine for me. For circular needles, I like ones that 'click' together and not screw together (they always come come unscrewed on me!) For now, that means Denise (until I can justify the new Knit Pics) I don't like the feel of the plastic in my hands, but they work well.

With my bamboo and birch needles, I seem to wear the points down from the way I knit!

I love knitting on metal needles. They're slick and really fast for me. That's for single point needles. I have a lot of needles and most are metal. I think most of mine are about 35 years old, so I'm not sure how the tips compare to what they're selling now. Some are older, a few are a little newer.

For double pointed needles, I prefer wood, because it has more grip. I'm a loose knitter and slippery needles can slide out if I'm not careful.

I always think it's interesting how people have different preferences in needles, yarn and knitting styles.

I picked up a pair of straight bamboo needles tonight, never used them before so this will be an experience.

Gotta love Michael's, I wanted to buy a size 7 16" round pair, but they had size 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10 etc. Guessing they cleaned up that section and got rid of the peg for the 5-6-7 ones. Same with double pointed, 1-4 and then 8 and up

Why skip the popular sizes!?!?!?! They had NO place that was just out of stock, just they do not carry. I asked at the register and got "Wow that is odd" as a reply

Back
Top Bottom