BYC KNITTING CLUB

Quote:
You spin??? I really want to learn to process my own wool. My friend has 2 sheep that I shear for her every spring and she throws the wool away!

I also have a weaving loom that was handed down to me (a really nice table top one) that I don't know how to use. So many textiles... so little time!

<----- That's me in my avatar.

Yes, spin, knit, crochet, needle punch, embroider, rug hooking, weave, tat, dye, (garden, can & make soap) but I don't shear sheep!

The fiber I use to spin is a combination of raw wools I prep or prepared wool/flax/cotton I buy.

There are a few links on my spinning page (under construction for a few years!!!)

Like you said, there are just too many fiber-y things to accomplish!

Do you know what type of loom it is? Does it have a single heddle (like this ) or multiple heddles (like this or this )?

For learning to weave on a Rigid Heddle, I recommend 'Hands On Rigid Heddle Weaving' by Betty Linn Davenport. For multiple heddles, I like both Learning to Weave by Deborah Chandler and The Joy of Handweaving by Osma Gallinger Tod.

Remember, you need your 'Daily Dose of Fiber!'

Last edited:
Quote:
Can I ask you what size needle, how many stitches and is that a normal adult sized sock?

My first and so far only attempt at making socks I followed a pattern I found, only if I had continued, I would have had sagging socks so I gave up.

I was using a Patons sock yarn and pattern. Same number of stitches but on a #3 needle. I will try again with smaller ones

I'm a loose knitter and always need to go down a needle size, to get the right gauge. I'm consistent when knitting patterns like lace and cables.

The bad news for me is that when knitting in the round, I knit just a bit looser than when I knit on straight needles. I hate to swatch knitting in the round, but for me, it's still necessary. I've read that a lot of people have a different gauge size when knitting in the round, so it's really recommended that you swatch in the round.

I have just started learning. I am just beginning to learn hoe to cast on. My boss is the queen of knitting so at least I have a mentor. I started knitting because I wanted warm socks and I will be harvesting fiber from alpacas and angora rabbits. I figured I'd better learn to knit. I will be getting alpaca as soon as I get the knitting down pat!

SkunkN, I also replied on the weaving page!!

r4eboxer, You'll want to blend in a more 'stable' wool for sock yarn. Both alpaca and angora don't wear too well. No sense wearing out the soles of your hard worked socks!

Back
Top Bottom