BYC members in Massachusetts?

I've been keeping my flock inside their coup quite a bit when there is wind chill warnings during the day and kept them in for both the blizzard and this last 16 inches. Even if it's really cold though I tend to give them outside time as their run gets a good amount of sun when it is out.

Anyone else doing this? First year flock tender so I'm still thinking about weather adjustments and probably being a little too protective.

I always give them the option to go out in their run. They always do. Even when it is FREEZING. The only time I kept them in the coop was during the blizzard.

We are supposed to get another 6 inches on Thursday. I am losing my mind. Please let there not be another day off school!

I always give them the option to go out in their run. They always do. Even when it is FREEZING. The only time I kept them in the coop was during the blizzard.

We are supposed to get another 6 inches on Thursday. I am losing my mind. Please let there not be another day off school!
More snow??I stopped looking at the forecast... It was making me depressed. LOL

Yeah, I live in an elevated area and we tend to get a few more inches then what people get in town. So if they are calling for six I'll probably get 8 or 9....yippeee

I let them out today for awhile they seemed pretty chuffed to find new floor shavings and straw in the nesting boxes when they came in.

Stay warm and another school day?!!! They'll be going to school until the last possible day in June if this keeps up :)

Yaay, I found the Mass thread! I live in Western MA. Berkshire County! We've had a rough 6 months with our flock. Long story short, we now have 3 hens. Debating on getting chicks or waiting until summer to get a few maran from local farm!!

Hi everybody!  I am chicken obsessed in Western Mass.  A lot of people I know have been getting chickens but I don't think they are on the forum yet.  I'll have to start spreading the word!  This site has been so amazingly helpful to me!

I'm in Western MA too

Last edited:
I am in Springfield and trekking through 2 feet of snow every day out to the coop is getting old and cold. I long for spring!

My kindergarten class will be hatching chicks this March. If anyone is interested in acquiring a few new chickens after we hatch them, just let me know. This is my first hatching experiment so i don't know what kind of success/hatch rate I will have out of the 2 dozen. I am hoping to keep 2 or 3 to add to my little chicken family.

I am in Springfield and trekking through 2 feet of snow every day out to the coop is getting old and cold. I long for spring!

My kindergarten class will be hatching chicks this March. If anyone is interested in acquiring a few new chickens after we hatch them, just let me know. This is my first hatching experiment so i don't know what kind of success/hatch rate I will have out of the 2 dozen. I am hoping to keep 2 or 3 to add to my little chicken family. 

Any ideas on the breeds?

Back
Top Bottom