BYC members in Massachusetts?

Hi, Junior! I am not too far, in Milton, south of Boston. Will have chicks in late April. I am very new to chickens, so I am happy to know some folks in driving distance. Glad to meet you!
Hi! I am in East Bridgewater so not far at all. Oh are these your first? I had them growing up but got my first ones since I was young last year the beginning of April. :)

Hi there! :frow Sounds like a great flock so far with more chicks to come. What breeds do you have?
right now I have 2 Blue Cochins (roo and pullet. Hoping to hatch their eggs in hopes of getting at least 1 splash pullet), a buff cochin, a silver laced cochin, an easter egger, a Salmon Faverolles, and 2 light brahmas.

I ordered buff Brahma (ordered them last year but they didn't get them at the feed store so had to substitute those so that is how I got the buff Cochin and light Brahma), Blue rock, Olive egger and Easter egger.

I am hoping to get a Sicilian Buttercup (had one last year but she passed at 9 weeks old), a Cream Leghorn (REALLY WANT THIS ONE). then not sure which one of these but will depend on the week I can get there either a Black copper Marans, a Russion Orloff or a Mottled Java.

right now I have 2 Blue Cochins (roo and pullet. Hoping to hatch their eggs in hopes of getting at least 1 splash pullet), a buff cochin, a silver laced cochin, an easter egger, a Salmon Faverolles, and 2 light brahmas.

I ordered buff Brahma (ordered them last year but they didn't get them at the feed store so had to substitute those so that is how I got the buff Cochin and light Brahma), Blue rock, Olive egger and Easter egger.

I am hoping to get a Sicilian Buttercup (had one last year but she passed at 9 weeks old), a Cream Leghorn (REALLY WANT THIS ONE). then not sure which one of these but will depend on the week I can get there either a Black copper Marans, a Russion Orloff or a Mottled Java.
Wow, so many breeds that is awesome! I had to look up many of them. I love the look of the Salmon Faverolles and Buff Brahma. The others are lovely as well. My pullets are Golden Laced Wyandotte, Barred Rock, ISA, Golden Comet that will be 1 year in the spring. Then Lavender Orp and Speckled Sussex will be 1 year in the summer. Lastly are a male and female Olive Egger that were born end of October. I had a Mosaic mix cockerel, 2 Speckled Dussex cockerels and a gorgeous, super friendly Easter Egger cockerel that were recently rehomed.

And sorry to hear about your Sicilian Buttercup, I hope you get another

Wow, so many breeds that is awesome! I had to look up many of them. I love the look of the Salmon Faverolles and Buff Brahma. The others are lovely as well. My pullets are Golden Laced Wyandotte, Barred Rock, ISA, Golden Comet that will be 1 year in the spring. Then Lavender Orp and Speckled Sussex will be 1 year in the summer. Lastly are a male and female Olive Egger that were born end of October. I had a Mosaic mix cockerel, 2 Speckled Dussex cockerels and a gorgeous, super friendly Easter Egger cockerel that were recently rehomed.
you have a bunch of breeds too! That is great. The Salmon Faverolles are so funny! My girl is just full of personality and most that have them say theirs are as well. I am so glad I got her and was so close to getting another one but I wanted to add a few more different breeds and couldn't fit another in my coop. :(

And sorry to hear about your Sicilian Buttercup, I hope you get another
Thanks. She was my 19 yr olds favorite so she really wants another one. Hoping we can get another one and it is just as sweet since when you look them up it says they can be very flighty and ours wasn't at all even though she was young the others were starting to get shy but she would still come right up to us.

I love hearing about your chickens, Junior and Deezchix! I am waiting with such impatience. I read with interest the forum thread about defeating hawk attacks by adding black chickens to a flock. Anybody have experience? We have crows in our area, and all through the breeding season, they really get after hawks (and foxes, and anybody else they think might be dangerous). But after the year's brood are fledged, they really cut back on the hawk patrol. I can see how it might work. But unless I have a bad mortality problem, or my mystery chick turns out to be black, all my coop is filled up with red colored chickens.

I love hearing about your chickens, Junior and Deezchix! I am waiting with such impatience. I read with interest the forum thread about defeating hawk attacks by adding black chickens to a flock. Anybody have experience? We have crows in our area, and all through the breeding season, they really get after hawks (and foxes, and anybody else they think might be dangerous). But after the year's brood are fledged, they really cut back on the hawk patrol. I can see how it might work. But unless I have a bad mortality problem, or my mystery chick turns out to be black, all my coop is filled up with red colored chickens.
I can't wait to hear about yours when they arrive! We do have hawks passing through alot, but have not had an incident yet. :fl I've read here on BYC about using bird netting, so we might give that a try soon. I did not know that about black birds, very interesting. I have a young beautiful black cockerel and we will be integrating him soon hopefully. Unfortunately, we won't be able to keep him once his crowing becomes a problem.

Hmm I am not sure about that. I haven't read that. Mine are in their enclosed run unless I am out with them. I have 2 blue chickens. My roo is dark but none are black.

Back
Top Bottom