BYC members in Massachusetts?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by masschix, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Thegirliesmom

Thegirliesmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    I am in Central Mass, with three girlies, one polish black, one rhode island red and one americauna. This is my first year with chickens and I just got my first egg yesterdayÂ….so excitingÂ…how did you do with the snow?

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    [​IMG] Congrats on the first egg! I remember my first egg and the wait for it to appear!

I'm in south central Worcester county-- we have about 6". Lost power for a very short time during the night. I prayed we would n't loose power as I have chicklets under a broody light for warmth

Rest of birds didn't want anything to do with the snow. I laid out old hay and dumped a bag of leaves. Much better. Marans are still in the coop with door open.[​IMG]

How is everyone? Many are with out power. Hope the services are restored quickly. Fortunately there doesn't seem to be as many trees down as in the hurricane.

God bless.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  3. scavanagh

scavanagh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Central Ma
    This weather is crazy [​IMG]. I love it! We have trees down everywhere just west of Worcester too. This is the first snow for my crew and no one will come out of the coop. Glad I opted to throw a heater in there for my littler guys yesterday!

4. rngrbill

rngrbill Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] See just above your post on how I made out in the berkshires. 3.5 hrs from springfield to Lee on the pike. [​IMG] [​IMG]

congrats on your first egg. I just had my first 5 egg day now I can be sure everybodies plumbing is working fine. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Snow? What snow? [​IMG]

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THe snow is almost gone--a few patches and a dwindling snow fort. Only a couple large branches down. Not the zillions of little branches all over.

We traveled to Sturbridge last night for a dinner out at the Publick House and boy there were tree limbs along the roads.. Not nearly as much as Irene caused but still . . . . Hope you are all recovering from this last storm.

7. mamadukes5

mamadukes5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Easthampton, Mass
    western Mass the power is still out in Springfield, parts of Easthampton where I live, Southampton, Longmeadow, Ludlow, Westfield, etc.... My power just came back on after 4 days. DH is running around in the truck with a chain saw getting wood for next winter. My chickens dislike the snow, but they have come out of the house and are tearing around the track my husband plowed for them around the garden. They walk from their run to the path and then round and round all day long. I'm getting dizzy watching them, but they won't step in the snow at all. It's warm in the sun though, so they are doing fine.

8. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    We were out power till tuesday night [​IMG] i lost so many chicks and a cockatial bird oh and fish to the stupid cold, i have a trailer out back that i have all my young and chicks in that i heat up with a heater, when lights when out , first night was not so bad couse it was heated, but that morning we brought in some of the youngs and teh chicks in boxes and crates put in front of fire place for heat it was hard trying to keep them warm enouigh and covered and then to eat and drink they were getting wet not eating much couse of light [​IMG] i am already starting to look for ways and bigger crates and cages to bring in for them for the next time [​IMG]

The snow collapes a lot of my chickens runs (which were just fencing) thank god i closed them all in they would have got squeshed couse they love to out in there runs. also collapse a couple of coops roofs, none got hurt though, but now we need to get them fixed.

9. mamadukes5

mamadukes5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Easthampton, Mass
    I had all my babies that aren't feathered yet in a dog crate in my living room in front of the fireplace for the whole time. They're fine, and with the power back on and the heat lamps working, they're back out in the garage and happy. I didn't lose any at all, I got lucky there. My 7-week olds are feathered, mostly, so they were ok in the garage during the days. At night, I brought them in in another dog crate and kept them in the kitchen where it was warmer than outside, but not in front of the fire where they would have been too hot. Like I said, I didnt lose any, except maybe the eggs that were in the bator. I put them in an egg carton and put them in front of the fireplace too. The temp was between 98 and 100 according to my thermometer, so they may hatch yet.

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    mamaduke-- hope those eggs hatch! that would be a great story if they did. Please let use know how they do.

SHay 20--sorry to hear you lost a few critters. Sopefully the winter will be kind to us this year.

Anyone going to the Boston show on Sunday in N Oxford?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by