BYC members in Massachusetts?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by masschix, Apr 29, 2008.

1. haemony

haemony Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens. I hope you get the OK. You won't have to go out of state and probably not even out of your area to get chicks. There are many good feed stores and chicken keepers on the Cape and south shore where you can get your chicken supplies. Cape Cod Feed Supply in West Barnstable has spring chicks, chicken feed, medications, heat lamps, waterers, feeders, etc.. I'm sure you could also easily obtain chickens from a connection on BYC. As someone mentioned, My Pet Chicken is also a good place to order from, especially if want a mixed flock who are all the same age. It's just so much easier to start a flock who are all the same age. I did it the other way with batches of chicks two weeks apart and it was kind of a hassle.

2. jsayles86

jsayles86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Danville, NH
    Thanks for all the advice. I did check with my local feed and grain store. They can get Favorelles next spring.
    Have to get coop plans to the historic commission soon. [​IMG]
    I understand from another link that the Westford chicken swap takes place the 1st sunday of every month except July and August - can anyone verify that? Also, exactly where in Westford is the swap held?
    Thanks again. This is a great forum!

3. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:yes thats true, it is held at the westford sportsmans club on west st. in westford from 8-1130am
    www.nasbirdclub.org not sure if the website is updated yet or not - no it is still down

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  4. jsayles86

jsayles86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Danville, NH
    Thanks for the info.
    I noticed on your website that you have raised Faverolles and Sussex chickens. Are you still raising these breeds? Do you often attend the Westford swap?

5. rngrbill

rngrbill Chillin' With My Peeps

1st 3 egg day guess there is still hope for the other 2. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:i have a trio of speckled sussex- think one of the hens just started laying
    also have a trio of coronation sussex for sale

yes, we are always at the westford swap

7. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Massachusetts Gal here!

8. rngrbill

AnimalsComeFirst [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] west of CT. River or East

9. shocksystems

shocksystems Out Of The Brooder

Hello everyone. I live in Ipswich MA and I am in the planning stages of getting chickens. I have a used coop that someone gave me and I plan on expanding / improving it in the next few weeks in preparation for chickens. I have cleared a spot in my yard and gotten the necessary building permit. If time allows I plan on attending the Westford Chicken Swap in November. Perhaps I will meet some of you there. I am learning a lot so far from reading the forums.

Cheers!

Jim

10. rngrbill

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by